FOCUSED AND COMPREHENSIVE ON-SITE REVIEW PROTOCOL AND
When reviewing teaching and learning, the primary concern of the SQR Team members will be the students’ learning progress and achievements. The process of reviewing teaching and learning with the Focused and Comprehensive On-Site Reviews will involve direct observation and exploration of the school’s work, which impact upon teaching and learning. A collective perspective will be reached by the Team regarding the work they have observed and discussed.
General steps in the process are as follows:
Before the Review:
- SED conducts an orientation session for School Improvement Liaisons in the Rest Of State (ROS) and in New York City (NYC), for School Improvement Liaisons and the Department Of Education (DOE) School/District Improvement Liaisons (S/DIL), regarding review protocols and procedures.
- The superintendent and/or principal inform the school staff about the review process and protocols.
- The on-site SQR Team is formed that includes SED in ROS and in NYC, the SED/DOE S/DIL. The Team will also include content area specialist(s) to address subgroup needs, and other staff as needed.
- The school must submit a master schedule of bells, building map, and directions to the school to the Team and the completed QI document with supporting documentation.
- Classroom visits and interviews are scheduled by the Team. The schedule of visits and interview times will be shared with the school.
During the Review:
- The Team reviews the alignment of instruction and assessment with NYS Learning Standards and performance indicators for the identified content area(s) and subgroups not meeting Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), as well as how students are grouped for instruction based upon their needs.
- The Team may also examine administrative practices and schoolwide issues.
- The Team meets daily to discuss the day’s activities and assignments prior to classroom visitation.
- Assigned Team members visit classrooms to review teaching and learning practices in identified area(s).
- The Team members analyze the Quality Indicators document submitted by each school, any Educational/Improvement Plans, accountability reports and other supporting documentation.
- Different Team members are assigned to visit the classrooms at scheduled times.
- Team members conduct interviews with staff members in the identified content areas, students, and parents.
- Team members convene each day to debrief and discuss classroom visits and interview. Team members must arrive at a collective perspective of findings and recommendations regarding teaching and learning.
- The Team completes the last column of the Quality Indicators document entitled, SQR Team Comments/Suggestions/Recommendations, based on the information in the completed Quality Indicators, other supporting information, and evidence from the site-visit, using the review criteria and Supporting Documentation document as a guide.
- The Team prepares a draft of the SQR written report.
After the Review:
- The Team meets with the administration and staff of the school to orally present their preliminary findings and recommendations.
- The Team prepares the final written report.
- SED sends the report to the district/school for distribution to the school staff within 4 weeks after the review.
- School staff should use the findings and recommendations as a basis for discussion and planning for the remainder of the SY 2010-11 and for the development of its two-year CEP for the SY 2011-12.