ON-SITE REVIEW SUMMARY
► The State Education Department conducts on-site School Quality Reviews (SQR) for schools in the Improvement phase - Focused and Comprehensive categories.
► The School Quality Review (SQR) is a school improvement support and intervention strategy for low-performing schools in New York State with a focus on teaching and learning. It is not monitoring. The approach is non-evaluative. The SQR Team is appointed by the Commissioner.
The SQR on-site visit for Improvement (year 1) Focused schools is conducted over 1 to 2 days. Technical assistance is offered as a follow-up on key factors affecting school success, as identified in the SQR recommendations, through review of the Comprehensive Educational Plan (CEP) and grant application.
The SQR on-site visit for Improvement (year 1) Comprehensive schools is conducted over a 2-3 day period. Technical assistance is offered as a follow-up on key factors affecting schools success, as identified in the SQR recommendations, through review of the CEP and grant application.
► The SQR Team is composed of:
- SED Team Leader, Reviewer
- SED – Team Facilitator, Reviewer (Convener)
- District Representatives, Reviewer (1-3 members)
- Content Area Specialist/ Sub-group Specialist – Reviewer
*See roles and responsibilities descriptions for more details.
► SED Training on School Quality Review:
- Conducted for Districts and schools upon release of list of identified schools
- Provided to SI Team by SQR project leads-Fall 2010
- Provided to SQR Teams once on-site visits are scheduled, by SED Team Leader
► SQR Team On-Site Focus:
- Direct observation of teaching and learning of all classes, for full period, for all identified content areas and subgroups cited, plus other classes, if time allows.
- Direct exploration of those aspects of the school’s work which impact teaching and learning
- Review of documentation (prior to visit).
- Interview teachers 15 – 25 minutes each; Interview Principal; Interview Assistant Principal;
Interview others, including instructional support staff and pupil personnel staff and parents.
- Formulate a collective perspective of teaching and learning in the school and related aspects of school operations (using the Quality Indicators Document).
► SED Coordination and Oversight of School Quality Review Report
- SQR Team submits report, including findings and recommendations, to SED Liaison.
- SED liaison reviews and edits the report, as needed.
- SED sends the draft report to all SQR team members for final review.
- SED sends the final report to all Team members, the school, district, District Superintendent and posts the report on the Internet.