Office of Accountability

Supplemental Educational Services
Service Summary Information

New Hope Fellowship/Gateway City Church - Gateway to Learning Tutoring Center

1.

Name of organization:

New Hope Fellowship/Gateway City Church - Gateway to Learning Tutoring Center

Primary location:

257 Bay Ridge Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Contact information:
(phone / email / website):

718-921-3737
gcc@gatewaycitychurch.net

LEAs where service will be provided:

-Brooklyn
(Region 6: Districts 17, 18, 22; Region 7: Districts 20 and 21; Region 8: Districts 12, 14, 15 and 16)

2.

Years provider has delivered service:

5 years of Gateway to Learning Tutoring Center

3.

Evidence that services have been effective:

Gateway to Learning Tutoring population over the past 5 years has consisted primarily of students struggling to make adequate yearly progress in ELA and Math.  60% of said students fall into this category the remaining 40% represent those children approved for SETTS. 85% of the total population tutored passed the NYS ELA and Math assessments with a level 3.  However, for the SES students we have provided empirical/statistical evidence of success through the Sylvan Ace it program as explained in section B2. Our program currently aligns with ACE it program.

4.

Title of the instructional program, curriculum series to be used (if appropriate):

Daybook of Critical Reading and Writing, (Great Source Educ. Group); Teacher's College- Differentiated Units of Study (Columbia Univ.)
Write Source Program (Great Source Educ. Group) Everyday Math (McGraw Hill)

5.

Grade level(s) the provider will serve:

K-5

6.

Content area(s) provider will serve:

English Language Arts (Reading Comprehension) and Mathematics.

7.

Number of sessions provided per week, if applicable:

Monday through Friday 3:30pm to 6:30pm (15 available sessions). Age and need will determine how many sessions each child will attend.

8.

Average length of each service session (minutes/hours):

1 hour

9.

Duration of the available service period (e.g. September 1 – June 30; September 1 – August 31; weekends only; summer school only; specific number of weeks or hours, other, etc;):

October 1 through to the end of the school year.  Summer School - July to mid August (7 weeks from 9:30am-11:30am)

10.

Type of instruction:

5 students to 1 tutor

10a

Description of methods and strategies for serving eligible students with disabilities:

•Verbal/visual repetition
•Frequent reinforcement and positive feedback
•Multisensory stimulation and activities
•Limited stimulation/work on slowly introducing increased levels of stimulation when former plateau has been incorporated
•Foundational development skills- for example, following directions for locative and attributes; following multi-step directions
•Teach strategies for note-taking/annotating texts; mnemonic strategies
•Sequencing text parts
•Providing syntax, graphophonic, semantic, and pragmatic cues
•Use meaningful and relevant materials
•Children use expressive language for giving directions and descriptions of others
•Barrier exercises
•Providing cues initially/phasing out over time
•Extended test taking time

10b

Description of methods and strategies for serving eligible students with limited English proficiency:

Role playing, thematic questions, picture scenes and cards; multisenory methods for teaching phonemes, phonics, etc.

11.

Qualifications of the service provider(s)/instructor(s):

NYS Certified Teachers (initial or permanent certification).

12.

Reports to parents, teachers, and LEA (Content, frequency, method of delivery):

Monthly progress reports will be emailed or mailed to the LEA, teachers and parents.  Biweekly phone calls will be made to teachers and parents. Bimonthly face to face tutor/parent conferences will take place.

13.

Will transportation to the service location be provided at no charge if requested? (Note: LEAs are not required to provide or pay for transportation)

yes to hardship cases only.

14.

Additional relevant information:

 

Last Updated: May 9, 2012