Office of Accountability

2011-12 Q&A Elluminate Session for New Staff Completing the 2011-12 Consolidated Application Update



Q: Can you post links to the NYSED portal, as well as to the allocations?

Q: Is there a way to access these presentations when the training is over?
A: Yes, they are posted on the NCLB Technical Assistance page.

Q: Must every school complete the Consolidated Application? 
A: Every district that chooses to accept their allocations must complete the Consolidated Application.

Q: What are some of the common errors you find when reviewing applications?
A: Some common errors include:
- the blue ink signature on the cover page is missing;
- the school yr. not listed properly (Sept. 1 to August 31);
- 11 and 13 in the program narrative are not completed;
- the student residency questionnaire is not completed;
- private school participation forms are not filled out completely;
- the checklist on page 4 is not used properly;
- another common error is not following the submission instructions: 

Q: If the submitted application is incorrect or missing things, what happens then?
A: You will be notified and instructed on how to fulfill the missing requirements. The Consolidated Application review process remains on hold until you provide the necessary components.

Q: On page 5 it states, “Do not submit the blank application sections if NO Significant Changes have occurred.” So those pages listed do not need to be included in the application?
A: Correct. Do not include blank pages.

Q: When should I do the online form (supplement)? I have all the data ready. Should I do it now?
A: Yes, it is recommended that the supplement form be completed at the beginning of the process.

Q: When NCLB is reauthorized how much time will we need to allocate to complete the application?
A: In all likelihood, reauthorization of NCLB will not occur until after the 2012 election cycle is complete. It is not an issue to be concerned about at this time.

Q: What is the Comparability Report?
A: (please see link below)


Q: What is transferability? My Finance Director says we don't use it. Should we?
A: Title I: Transferability: 

Q: How do we learn about how "need of improvement" affects us, and what does that mean to our funding? We just learned that we are in Improvement Year 1 for graduation rate.
A: Differentiated Accountability Interventions:

Q: Our middle school and one of the non-publics would like to shift from all reading services to a combination of reading and math supplemental services. Are there any recommendations for making these changes?
A: Title I, Part A funds can be used for academic intervention services in ELA/Reading and Mathematics as well as Science and Social Studies. Most districts focus funds on ELA/Reading and Mathematics. You can change the focus of the Title I services from just reading to reading and mathematics. You would need to indicate in your 2011-12 Consolidated Application Update in the Title I Program Plan Narrative Section the changes to the program. The information would go under the item related to the school's Title I status as either a Targeted Assistance School (TAS) (Item 5) or a Schoolwide Program (SWP) school (Item 6). Changes in the private school program would be noted in the Private School Participation Section (Pages 55-58 - Item 4 and perhaps Item 6) of the application.

Q: Can you explain what “equitable services” means?
A: Equitable does not mean equal or same. It means that if the same students were in the public school system, whatever services the district/school would have provided to the students to assist them to succeed academically should be similar to what services are provided to the private school. Services are always provided based on the actual academic needs of the student(s).

Q: If we are under 1000 students how do we use the K-12 Administrative option?
A: The Administrative Option is tied into the Online Supplement Form which must be filled out by all districts receiving Title I funds. This option allow you to focus the funds to any grade level(s) you have the greatest academic need. The Administrative option sees the district as one school for funding purposes. For additional assistance on this option you can contact Genesis Jackson or Dr. Robert Lutringer by calling 1-(518)-473-0295. 

Q: I received a waiver for unused SES funds in 2010-11 and I put that rollover amount into the recalculated Title I allocation. How do I present the waiver in the application?
A: Put the information in the FS-10 Budget Narrative and include any communications from the SED application reviewer noting that the waiver was given.

Q: If we are changing an assessment for students in a program, is that considered a significant change?
A: Yes.

Q: The 20% that is mentioned is for what, school status? I assume you are addressing the CEP?
A: No. CEP is the plan, 20% is the reserve. The 20% Title I Part A reserve (amount equal to) is required if you have any Title I schools identified for improvement. The CEP is the required improvement plan that is due within 90 days of identification.

SES link:
CEP link:


Q: As a new charter school, what parts of the application should we complete?
A: Every section that you will be applying funding for needs to be completed. All narrative items must be addressed. Those items which cannot be addressed because it is too early in the school year should be addressed by describing the district's (i.e. charter school) efforts to implement the requirement. The description should include who will be involved and any timelines involved with the development of the required action or document. Items requiring a document should have a date when the reviewer can reasonably expect to receive the required document (ex. District-level Parent Involvement Policy). 


Q: I have received lists of students' names enrolled in non-public schools outside the boundaries of the school district. Are those non-public schools eligible for Title I funds?
A: The students who live in your district but attend a private school outside the district are eligible for Title I services. Funds are never directly sent to the private school. The students must be from high poverty families, live in a Title I attendance area (i.e. they would go to a Title I school in the district if they didn't go to that private school), and in the case where it is only one student from your district attending a private school outside the district, the student must be in academic need. Your district would need to confirm the address of the student and the poverty level of the student based on an approved measure of poverty (See Consolidated Application Item No. 5). Most districts will enter into a purchased service agreement with the district where the private school is located to provide the services. This is mainly due to transportation issues.


Last Updated: December 7, 2011