Distinguished Educators Program
In March, 2011 the Board of Regents adopted Section 100.17 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education establishing criteria regarding the selection, roles, responsibilities, protocols, procedures and expenses for distinguished educators, effective March 30, 2011. Section 100.17 of the Regulations enables the Commissioner to appoint distinguished educators to districts and schools that are experiencing extremely serious academic challenges and ensure the appointment of qualified individuals to assist low performing schools.
The New York State Education Department is implementing the Distinguished Educator Program to assist low performing districts and schools within such districts that failed to make adequate yearly progress (AYP) for four or more years.
Upon completion of the application process, successful candidates will be placed in a pool and may serve as Distinguished Educators. From this pool, the Commissioner will select and appoint Distinguished Educators to assist school districts in raising the achievement levels of all student groups.
Please click on each link below to learn more about the Distinguished Educator Program:
- Section 100.17 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education (42 KB)
- Announcement for Candidates for the Distinguished Educator Program(18 KB)
- Application for the Distinguished Educator Program (122 KB)
- Flow Chart: Becoming a Distinguished Educator (76 KB)
- Questions and Answers: Distinguished Educator Program (60 KB)
Related laws and regulation:
- Education Law 211-c (17 KB)
- Education Law 211-b (19 KB)
- Section 100.16 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education (21 KB)
Buffalo Distinguished Educator Action Plan and Update Reports
- Letter of appointment of Dr. Judy Elliott as Distinguished Educator to the Buffalo Public School District (25 KB)
- Commissioner King Letter to Dr. Judy Elliott Approving Action Plan (33 KB)
- Commissioner King Transmittal Letter to Dr. Pamela Brown (49 KB)
- Distinguished Educator Action Plan and Attachment (45 KB)
- Distinguished Educator's First Quarter Action Plan Status Update (289 KB)