Archive - 2007
NYSESLAT – Determining a Limited-English-Proficient Student’s
Level of English Proficiency: This memorandum provides the scale
score ranges for the New York State English as a Second Language
Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) 2007 along with guidance and information
concerning the interpretation of the scale scores. September
- 2007 NYSESLAT Teacher Evaluation Survey:
The Commissioner of Education invites teachers to evaluate the test components for the spring 2007 NYSESLAT as well as the process for ordering the tests, receiving orders, ordering additional materials, and returning materials.
Suggestions from teachers provide an important contribution to the test development program. A number of specific questions are asked below. Your opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.
Please be as specific as possible. Thank you for your participation.
Questions and Answers for Administering
and Scoring the 2007 NYSESLAT (
If your school has a question that is not on the FAQ, please contact Harcourt’s Customer Support Center (CSC) at 1-800-763-2306 or e-mail email@example.com.
- 2007 NYSESLAT Notice to Teachers on the Grades 7-8 Training Sets (, 20KB) (posted May 2007 )
2007 NYSESLAT School Administrator's
This manual contains information of special interest to administrators. It provides directions for administering the NYSESLAT, as well as the revised Speaking and Writing rubrics. April 2007
2007 NYSESLAT Parent
This informational brochure describes NYSESLAT and how it measures the progress of English language learners. From this brochure, parents will also learn what they can do to help their students meet the challenges of NYSESLAT. The brochures are available in:
- 2007 NYSESLAT Turnkey Training Materials: These materials should be used by teachers participating in NYSESLAT turnkey training sessions for scoring speaking and writing. March 2007
- NYSESLAT – Determining a Limited-English-Proficient Student’s Level of English Proficiency:(, 787KB) This memorandum provides the scaled score ranges for the NYSESLAT 2006 and guidance and information concerning the interpretation of the scaled scores. February 2007
- NYSESLAT 2006 Item Maps The item maps show the relationship between the Spring 2006 version of the NYSESLAT and the New York State ESL Learning Standards. February 2007
- NYSESLAT Update Memo: The purpose of this memorandum is to provide an update on the various activities that are ongoing in support of the New York State English as a Second Language (NYSESLAT) testing program. February 2007
the 2007 NYSESLAT
The spring 2007 administration of the New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) has been scheduled for April 23 to May 18, 2007. Test booklets, directions for administration, and a school administration manual are being prepared by Harcourt Assessment under contract with the New York State Education Department (NYSED). All students identified as limited English proficient (LEP) are to be tested.
Harcourt Assessment mailed a letter and a quick reference guide for ordering these materials to the principals of public, charter, and nonpublic schools. The initial ordering window will be open from January 16 until March 16, 2007
All orders must be placed via the internet. The Harcourt Spectrum Quick Reference Guide will provide information on how to initiate a NYSESLAT test order using their web address. Orders should be made by the school principal or designated staff person. Only one order per school building will be accepted.
Questions about NYSESLAT orders should also be directed to Harcourt's Customer Support Center (CSC) at 1-800-763-2306 between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the district name, school name and BEDS code.