This Arts Education page provides materials and resources for developing quality PreK-12 dance, music, theatre, and visual arts education programs. It includes resources to inform users about the New York State Learning Standards for the Arts and related curriculum guides, instructional requirements, and assessment tools.
On this page you will find links to:
- the New York State Learning Standards for the Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts) ;
- a Summary of the PreK-12 Arts Education State requirements;
- Approval Information and Application for locally developed courses;
- Statewide Arts Education Data summaries and multiyear charts;
- Other resources that support increased student achievement of the learning standards; and
- Periodic updates regarding Arts news, information, and funding opportunities from the State and national levels to promote arts education.
News and Upcoming Events
Public Review of the Draft High School Core Arts Standards
Please join the public review of drafts of the High School national core arts standards for Dance, Media Arts, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts beginning September 30 and ending October 21, 2013. Draft high school music standards for secondary ensembles will be included in the September 30th release; standards for additional music course sequences (guitar/keyboard and composition/theory) will be released later. Watch for details and information at http://nccas.wikispaces.com .
Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network and National School Boards Association Award
Nominations are being accepted for the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network and National School Boards Association Award through November 1.
This award recognizes a local school board for outstanding support of the arts in education. The winning board receives a plaque presented at the National School Boards Association Annual Conference, along with a cash award of $10,000 to use for their arts education programs.
For more information and to nominate a school board for the award, visit www.kennedy-center.org/SchoolBoardAward. If you have any questions please contact:
Program Coordinator, National Partnerships
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street NW, Washington, DC 20566
T. 202.416.8817 | F. 202.416.4844
National Coalition for Core Arts Standards
Many thanks to all of you who participated in the review of next generation national core arts standards for grades PreK-8. For updates and more information about this project, please go to: http://nccas.wikispaces.com
- More News...