Part 80 Requirements for Teachers' Certificates and Teaching Practice
Subpart 80-4 Requirements for Extensions and Annotations of Certificates Applies for On or After February 2, 2004
Section 80-4.3 (d)
- Requirements for the extension for gifted education.
- This extension shall authorize the candidate to provide education for gifted pupils, as such term is defined in section 4452 of the Education Law, within a gifted and talented program which is funded pursuant to the Education Law and in accordance with Part 142 of this Title.
- The candidate shall meet the requirements iii each of the following subparagraphs:
- The candidate shall hold a valid provisional, permanent, initial, or professional certificate in the classroom teaching service.
- The candidate shall complete a program registered pursuant to section 52.2 l(b)(4)(v) of this Title, or its equivalent [transcript evaluation].
- The candidate shall complete the New York State Teacher Certification Examination content specialty test in gifted education.
- Statement of continued eligibility.
- A person employed in a position in New York State as a teacher within a gifted and talented program which is funded pursuant to the Education Law and in accordance with Part 142 of this Title for three of the five years immediately preceding February 2, 2004, may be issued a statement of continued eligibility pursuant to which such person may continue to teach in such a program without the extension prescribed in this subdivision, provided such person holds a permanent certificate in the classroom teaching service.
- A statement of continued eligibility shall be limited to the specific permanent certificate held authorizing classroom teaching service, as prescribed in subparagraph (i) of this paragraph, but shall be valid for service in any school district.
- Applications for the statement of continued eligibility must be filed with the department on or before February 1, 2004.