American Sign Language
Standard 2: Students will develop cross-cultural skills and understandings.
Key Idea: KEY CULTURAL TRAITS exist within the Deaf culture, and cultural patterns are learned through the use of American Sign Language.
Performance Indicators--Students will:
- Checkpoint A
- use key cultural traits that exist in settings where American Sign Language is used
- become aware of cultural patterns, learned through the use of American Sign Language, that characterize the Deaf culture
- Checkpoint B
- demonstrate more comprehensive knowledge of the Deaf culture
- draw comparisons about different societies both within the Deaf culture and other cultures
- recognize important linguistic and cultural variations among different groups within the culture and in the various states and Canadian provinces where American Sign Language is used
- Checkpoint C
- produce behaviors that are consistent with the Deaf culture
- reflect a wide variety of different contexts within the Deaf culture