What is the New York State Mathematics Initiative?
The New York State Mathematics Initiative is designed to improve student achievement in mathematics by building statewide leadership capacity focused on improved teaching and learning. This initiative will provide statewide leadership capacity that will:
- Provide quality, sustained professional development opportunities for teachers
- Develop seamless and cohesive mathematics programs PreK-16 incorporating best practices
- Create a platform for communication among the education professionals and the community they serve
- Provide a clear understanding of the expectation for students, teachers and school leaders implementing the 2005 Mathematics Core Curriculum
Why is the New York State Mathematics Initiative necessary?
“To compete in the global economy of the 21st century, knowledge of math is critical. Today's high school graduates need to have solid math skills—whether they are proceeding directly to college, or going straight into the workforce. In today's changing world, employers seek critical thinkers and practical problem-solvers fluent in today's technology."
-- U.S. Department of Education
In recent years, data gathered from international, national, and state assessments have indicated a need for strengthening student performance in mathematics. Results from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS), the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), and the state-developed assessments show that New York State students need to raise their level of achievement in mathematics.
In order to prepare for the 21st century by implementing the changes mandated by NCLB, the continuous advancement of technology, and the implementation of the 2005 Core Curriculum, NYS teachers need leadership and guidance in sustained quality professional development. By increasing the content knowledge and pedagogy of teachers, the level of student achievement in mathematics will improve. To reach this goal the math initiative will build statewide leadership capacity.
What benefits will result from the New York State Mathematics Initiative?
- Students will have engaging, hands-on math activities for better understanding of mathematics concepts.
- Teachers will have sustained professional development and tools to enhance classroom instruction.
- Administrators will have a clear understanding of the pathways to mathematics achievement with data-driven results.
- Parents/guardians and other family members will become partners in their students' mathematics education.
- Higher education institutions will prepare teachers who are aware of the New York State Core Curriculum (Revised 2005) and familiar with the resources available to help them.
- Community members will have a clear understanding of the importance of mathematics and the need for a mathematically literate population.
What are the goals of the New York State Mathematics Initiative?
- To prepare students for citizenship, employment, or continued education
- To enable all districts to develop well-articulated mathematics programs Prekindergarten through grade twelve and instructional strategies to support mathematics achievement
- To plan and provide sustained professional development in order to build teachers content knowledge and pedagogy in mathematics
- To sharpen the focus on standards-based mathematics instruction and provide research based tools for enhancing student achievement
- To assure on going progress monitoring of student achievement in mathematics
- To attract and retain teachers of mathematics prekindergarten through grade 12
How can people get more information on this initiative?
Please visit the New York State Education Department Mathematics website.
How can I get involved in the New York State Mathematics Initiative?
The Education Department has issued a Call for Expertise in the area of Mathematics to support -the New York State Mathematics Initiative.