Special Education Mediation Technical Assistance Center
- UPDATE 7/24/14:
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) P-12 Office of Special Education is seeking proposals to provide annual training to approximately 125 individuals who serve as New York State special education mediators, promote the use of special education mediation, provide reimbursement of mediation administrative costs to the State’s twenty one (21) Community Dispute Resolution Centers (CDRCs) and to collect and report data on the number and type of special education mediation sessions conducted throughout the State. NYSED seeks applicants for mediation training (Part I) with documented experience and expertise in alternative dispute resolution processes in special education and for data collection (Part II) with demonstrated experience in the collection and reporting of statewide data.
The RFP will be funded in two parts:
- Part I to provide special education mediator training and to promote of the use of mediation statewide; and
- Part II to collect and report data on mediation sessions conducted statewide and to provide reimbursement for administrative costs related to conducting special education mediation to the CDRCs. (Administrative costs include costs related to the CDRC’s coordination of case assignments and follow-up, scheduling, paperwork related to development of agreement, salary and office costs related to administrative oversight.)
A bidder may submit a bid for mediation training Part I and/or collection of data Part II. Bidders applying for both Part I and Part II must submit separate proposals, with separate staffing for each Part. Proposals for Part I and Part II will be scored separately. Applicants will be expected to work collaboratively with CDRCs to provide training of new and veteran special education mediators and/or collect data.
The eligible applicants include public and private institutions of higher education and private for-profit and not-for-profit organizations located within New York State.
Subcontracting will be limited to thirty percent (30%) of the annual contract budget for Part I proposals and twenty percent (20%) for Part II proposals. NYSED reserves the right to approve all subcontractors. Subcontracting is defined as non-employee, direct, personal services and related incidental expenses, including travel. Bidders are required to comply with NYSED’s Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (M/WBE) participation goals for this RFP through one of three methods. Compliance methods are discussed in detail in the Minority/Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Participation Goals section below.
Terms of Contract
NYSED will award up to two (2) contracts pursuant to this RFP. The contract(s) resulting from this RFP will be for a term anticipated to begin on October 1, 2014 and to end September 30, 2019.
For Part I, the vendor shall provide training accessible to new and current special education mediators from the 21 CDRCs and promote the use of mediation statewide. Please see Attachment #1 for the location and addresses of the CDRCs. For Part II, the vendor shall collect data from each of the 21 CDRCs and enter into the web-based Comprehensive Special Education Information System (CSEIS) and provide reimbursement to the CDRCs for administrative costs incurred in conducting mediation sessions.
See Mandatory Requirement section of the RFP.
Questions and Answers
Questions and Answers (212 KB) - POSTED July 24, 2014
Questions regarding this RFP must be submitted by E-mail to 2014Mediate@mail.nysed.gov no later than the close of business on July 17, 2014. Questions regarding this request should be identified as Program, Fiscal or M/WBE. A Questions and Answers Summary will be posted here no later than July 24, 2014.
PART I AND PART II BIDS ARE TO BE SUBMITTED SEPARATELY
The following documents must be submitted in separately sealed envelopes, as detailed in the Submission section of the RFP, and be received at NYSED no later than August 7, 2014 by 3:00 PM:
- Submission Documents labeled Submission Documents-RFP #14-019 Do Not Open
- Technical Proposal labeled Technical Proposal - RFP #14-019 Do Not Open
- Cost Proposal labeled Cost Proposal – RFP #14-019 Do Not Open
- M/WBE Documents labeled M/WBE Documents—RFP #14-019 Do Not Open
- CD ROM containing the technical, cost, submission and M/WBE proposals submitted using Microsoft Word. Place in a sealed envelope labeled CD-ROM-RFP # 14-019 Do Not Open.
Submit each of the above documents in a separately sealed envelope labeled CD-ROM-RFP #14-019 Do Not Open.
The mailing address for all the above documentation is:
NYS Education Department
Bureau of Fiscal Management
Attn: Richard Duprey
Contract Administration Unit
89 Washington Avenue, Room 501W EB
Albany, NY 12234
(Facsimile copies of the proposals are NOT acceptable)