Nurse Assisting (Nurse Aide)
Adult and Secondary Nurse Assisting (Nurse Aide) programs preparing students for testing to become Certified Nurse Aides (CNAs) in New York State must be approved for operation by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) in conjunction with the New York State Department of Health.
Approval to Conduct a Nurse Aide Training Program in New York State
The Guidelines for Approval of a Nurse Aide Training Program
( 494KB) contains all of the information and forms necessary to submit an application for approval of a school-based nurse aide program. The guide will assist schools to plan, organize and provide programs for nurse aides’ preparation; to facilitate the approval/re-approval process required to operate a program; to develop curricular materials that meet the New York State Education Department and New York State Department of Health standards; and to prepare for the required SED-conducted site visits every two years.
Forms contained in the Guide include:
- Form 1 - Application Cover Sheet ( 56KB)
- Form 2 - Program Coordinator Verification ( 47KB)
- Form 3 - Nurse Aide Instructor Verification ( 50 KB)
- Form 4 - Curriculum Identification/Verification ( 41 KB)
- Form 5 - Site Visit Self Evaluation ( 85 KB)
- Form 6 - Program Continuity Form (to be submitted in non-site visit years, 46 KB )
Nurse Assisting Curriculum
Updated nurse aide training program content implemented by the New York State Department of Health in 2006 was reviewed by the State Education Department and health occupations educators. Two addenda have been developed to supplement the Health Occupations Core Curriculum and the Nurse Assisting Curriculum and are designed to be inserted into the current curriculum documents.
- Pages marked with page numbers followed by “A” go directly into the Core Curriculum or the Nurse Assisting Curriculum.
- Pages marked with page numbers followed by a “B” go into the Nurse Assisting Supplement labeled 9/90.
- NYS DOH has also mandated new clinical skills which must be documented by the instructor on the Clinical Skills Performance Checklist.
- Note that there have been no changes in the instructional hour requirements for health occupations education programs.
The Health Occupations Core Curriculum and Nurse Assisting Curriculum is no longer updated or available through the SED publications department, but copies of the original documents may be provided upon request at 518-486-1547.