One of the tasks associated with RttT Priority 3 was to establish world class internationally benchmarked early learning standards to improve school readiness. In January of 2011 the Board of Regents approved the New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) and Literacy; the New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for Mathematics; and the New York State Prekindergarten Learning Standards. There is a plan to revise standards related to Science and Social Studies among other content areas in the near future; therefore, the New York State Learning Standards are to be used for these content areas.
The documents below contain the New York State Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Common Core Learning Standards, side by side. They are intended to be used as a reference for Prekindergarten and Kindergarten teachers and administrators to note standards’ similarities and differences. They can also be used to facilitate thinking about the alignment of curricula and student expectations.
Please refer to New York State's Common Core State Standards website for additional information on learning standards, including:
- New York State Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core (770KB)
- Introduction to the Common Core (67KB)
- New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English, Language Arts, & Literacy (531KB)
- New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for Mathematics (521KB)
- A Side by Side Comparison of the Main Organizational Features (198KB)
This document is a comparison between the new P12 ELA Common Core Learning Standards and the 2005 ELA Core Curriculum.
The following resources will also provide useful information about learning standards:
- The New York State Learning Standards are still appropriate the content areas other than ELA and Math.
- Please visit the NYSED Social/Emotional Development and Learning (SEDL) website to find the Draft Guidelines and Resources for Social and Emotional Development and Learning (SEDL) in New York State.
- Common Core Curriculum Maps in English Language Arts
Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, these maps provide a translation of the new Common Core State Standards for Kindergarten through 12th grade into useable unit curriculum maps for teachers to adapt and use to build their year upon if they wish to do so. These maps integrate other curriculum areas into their units as well. These maps were written by teachers for teachers and are free. They are organized by essential questions, and each unit includes focus standards, student objectives, suggested texts, and sample activities and assessments. For kindergarten and Grade 1, they also have tabs for reading foundations to address specific developmental reading needs. Check this resource out!
- http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/CommonCoreLibrary/Work The New York City Department of Education has developed some Common Core aligned tasks embedded in units. Check them out!
For RFPs related to Early Learning: