One of the tasks associated with RttT Priority 3 was to establish world class internationally benchmarked early learning standards to improve school readiness. In January of 2011 the Board of Regents approved the New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English Language Arts (ELA) and Literacy; the New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for Mathematics; and the New York State Prekindergarten Learning Standards. There is a plan to revise standards related to Science and Social Studies among other content areas in the near future; therefore, the New York State Learning Standards are to be used for these content areas.
The documents below contain the New York State Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Common Core Learning Standards, side by side. They are intended to be used as a reference for Prekindergarten and Kindergarten teachers and administrators to note standards’ similarities and differences. They can also be used to facilitate thinking about the alignment of curricula and student expectations.
Please refer to New York State's Common Core State Standards website for additional information on learning standards, including:
- New York State Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core (770KB)
- Introduction to the Common Core (67KB)
- New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for English, Language Arts, & Literacy (531KB)
- New York State P-12 Common Core Learning Standards for Mathematics (521KB)
- A Side by Side Comparison of the Main Organizational Features (198KB)
This document is a comparison between the new P12 ELA Common Core Learning Standards and the 2005 ELA Core Curriculum.