KEY RESOURCES TO SUPPORT PROGRAMS
State Education Department
DeSylvia W. Dwyer, Even Start State Coordinator
- Submit State plan and required reports to the U.S. Department of Education.
- Form a Committee of Practitioners to advise the State in carrying out its responsibilities related to Even Start and other programs under Title I of ESEA.
- Make competitive discretionary subgrant awards to Even Start partnerships.
- Provide training and technical assistance for local partnerships, both directly and through statewide technical assistance contract.
- Develop and use Even Start indicators of program quality to monitor, evaluate and improve local programs.
- Oversee fiscal management of program.
- Monitor programs for compliance with statutory provisions, non-regulatory guidance and program indicators.
- Take enforcement actions as needed.
Statewide Technical Assistance Contract
RMC Research Corporation
- Assist in the development and implementation of one, three-day statewide Even Start Family Literacy Institute for coordinators, directors and staff.
- Provide administrative support (i.e. registration, mailings, etc.) to the New York Even Start Association in planning and implementing one, three-day, statwide conference for program coordinators and staff.
- Develop and implement a one-day training for 10-15 new program coordinators.
- Provide a one-day training for local evaluators.
- Distribute monthly, via the Even Start listserv, journal articles and other resrouces relevant to best practives in the field of family literacy, including suggestions for how local program coordinators can use these resources for staff development.
- Provide two statewide follow-up sessions to the Even Start Family Literacy Institute via use of teleconferencing, WebEx or other distance learning technologies.
- Program Specialists
- Eastern: Deb Kidder, Herkimer County Even Start
- Western: Tammy Anderson, Eastern Wayne County Even Start
- Metro: Ann Sullivan & Christine Green, We Learn Together Even Start
- Training and Technical Assistance Functions
- Provide technical assistance, coaching and mentoring to programs (program administration and management focus)
- Provide technical assistance, coaching for instructors (delivery of services focus)
- Provide technical assistance and training on performance indicators and ES-STAR (data management and use focus)
- Arrange for or provide localized trainings (PEP, PLS, other assessments, other topics of special interest to region, etc.)
- Help programs identify and access training and technical assistance resources available within local communities
- Communication and Liaison Functions
- Coordinate/facilitate regional meetings (at least quarterly)
- Serve as communication liaison between local programs, SED and State Technical Assistance Contractor
- AssessmentMay 29, 2009tration of the PPVT-III assesment within the demonstration area
- Support implementation of action plans
- Review and provide input on state policy decisions
- Review and develop responses for the On-line Resource Guide for Administrators