NEW YORK STATE GREEN RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM
New York State is participating in the second year of the U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) program. Public and private schools are invited to apply to the New York State Education Department Office of Facilities Planning for this national recognition starting October 8, 2012.
The ED-GRS program recognizes schools taking a comprehensive approach to greening their school. A comprehensive approach incorporates environmental learning with improving environmental and health impacts.
The New York State Education Department is permitted to nominate up to four schools and one district to the ED-GRS. New York State has opted not to participate in the district award. If four schools are nominated, one must be a public school with a 40 percent disadvantaged population and one must be a private school. All schools must meet high college- and career-ready standards, be in compliance with federal civil rights laws, and all federal, state and local health and safety standards and regulations.
The U.S. Department of Education selects honorees from those presented by eligible nominating authorities nationwide. Selection will be based on documentation of the applicant's high achievement in the three ED-GRS Pillars:
- Pillar I: Reduce environmental impact and costs.
- Pillar II: Improve the health and wellness of students and staff.
- Pillar III: Provide effective environmental and sustainability education,
incorporating STEM, civic skills and green career pathways.
US ED AWARDS GREEN RIBBON TO THREE NEW YORK STATE SCHOOLS IN 2013
2013 NEW YORK STATE GREEN RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM:
- Four New York State Schools nominated for 2013 US Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award:
NYS 1st Place - Crompond School, Yorktown, NY
NYS 2nd Place - Hubert Humphrey PS57, Staten Island, NY
NYS 3rd Place - Rye Country Day School, Rye, NY
NYS 4th Place - Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua, NY
- 2013 NYS GRS Program Application Scoring Results (02/08/13)
- NYSED Press Release (02/07/12)
- 2013 USED Green Ribbon Schools Program:
2012 NEW YORK STATE GREEN RIBBON SCHOOLS PROGRAM:
New York State Schools receive 2012 US Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award:
- Hampton Bays Middle School
- Sleepy Hollow Middle School
- Bethlehem Central Middle School
- 2012 NYS GRS Program Application Scoring Results (03/23/12)
- 2012 USED Green Ribbon Schools Program:
Questions regarding the New York State Green Ribbon Schools program can be directed to:
Rosanne T. Groff, RA, LEED AP BD+C, Senior Architect