Questions and Answers
Reissue: 2011 New York State Charter Schools Stimulus Fund
- We applied for the State Stimulus Grant in October of this year. Can we find out if we were granted the money, so we know if we should apply again or not?
- If we did receive the grant that we submitted under the original deadline this year, can we also submit a second grant for a different project during this round?
A: Yes, as per the RFP eligible applicant section "Charter schools authorized by the Board of Regents are eligible to apply to the State Education Department for this funding. An applicant must have received its provisional charter at the time of the application due date. Charter schools that have previously received a State Stimulus Fund Grant may reapply. However, priority will be given to charter schools that have not previously received State Stimulus Funds."
- Is it possible to get the results of the grant evaluation, both from this year and last year's proposals? Our proposal did receive the award during last year's Stimulus Grant period. Is it possible to get a copy of our Proposal Evaluation, even though we were awarded the grant? As we wrote the grant again this year, it would have been helpful to see how we were evaluated on last year's proposal. A minimum score of 75 was required in order to get the grant. It would be helpful to know if we got a 75 or a 95 or somewhere in between.
A: As stated in the RFP, applicants may request a debriefing on the selection process regarding this Grant by emailing the request to email@example.com. A summary of the strengths and weaknesses of the application, as well as recommendations for improvement will be emailed back to the applicant within ten (10) business days.
- Is this grant in addition to the first 2011 Stimulus Fund Grant (issued in September 2010), in place of, or in combination with?
A: This RFP is from the same pool of funds as the Stimulus Fund Grant issued in September.
- Are awards going to be made from the first round of 2011 Stimulus Fund Grant applications?
A: Awards are currently being made from the first round of 2011 Stimulus Fund Grant Applications.
- If so, will those recipients be eligible also to apply for this round of funds for the period 4/1/11-6/30/11?
A: See the response to Question 2.
- My school already submitted an application for the State Stimulus Fund Grant for the same project period. I'm assuming this is the same grant... Can you confirm this?
A: This is the same grant but a new competition.
- Why is there a different deadline?
A: This is a new competition.
- If it is the same grant, will school’s that applied by the original deadline get preference?
A: Although this is the same grant, from the same pool of funding, it is a different competition. Please see the response to Question 2 to see the eligibility requirments.
- To be eligible to apply, the description on your web site states that "an applicant must have received its provisional charter at the time of the application due date". If a recommended charter application is approved at the December 13-14, 2010 meeting and we know a provisional charter is forthcoming as a result of the approval, is this new charter school eligible to apply?
A: As per the RFP, the provisional charter must be received. If, at the December 13-14, 2010 meeting, the Board of Regents issues the provisional charter then the school is considered to be an eligible applicant.
- My charter school submitted an application for the 2011 New York State Charter Schools Stimulus grant competition posted on NYSED on September 17, 2010. Should we re-apply under the reissue of November 22 or will my school’s application still be considered under the September 17th grant competition?
A: The September competition and this competition are separate competitions. Schools should reapply as both applications are under separate competitions.
- We are a charter school that leases space in a facility. Are we eligible to use stimulus funding to be used towards both permanent and portable systems and/or equipment to improve this facility?
- We would like to use funds to convert storage space in our leased facility for classrooms and special activity rooms to support our charter including music, art and dance. May we use the funds to purchase a heating and ventilation system for these rooms and associated costs with renovating these rooms even though we lease this
- We have been informed that charter schools authorized by the Board of Regents are eligible to apply to the State Education Department for the 2011 New York State Charter Schools Stimulus Fund program, and that an applicant must have received its provisional charter at the time of the application due date. The proposed Charter School has an application pending before the State Regents for which approval status is expected no later than Dec. 14, 2010. Is this prospective school eligible to apply for this funding?
A: Please see the Answer to Question 10.
Back to top
December 7, 2010