UPDATE November 21, 2014: Application Documents Revised
Purpose of Allocation
Section 1003(a) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) requires that State Education Agencies allocate funds to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) for Title I Priority and Focus Schools to meet the progress goals in their District Comprehensive Improvement Plan and School Comprehensive Education Plan(s) (DCIP/SCEP) and thereby improve student performance.
These funds are to be used to support implementation of school improvement activities identified through the Diagnostic Tool for School and District Effectiveness (DTSDE) reviews or a school review with district oversight and included in the DCIP/SCEP.
Only Title I Focus Districts are eligible to apply for this grant. Districts that are in Focus Status as of July 1, 2014 are eligible for funding based on the number of Focus and Priority Schools identified in the district as of that date. The list of Focus Districts is posted online at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/accountability/documents/2012-13FocusDistricts.xls. Focus Districts may amend their application to add newly identified schools after the Department posts the 2014-15 Accountability Designations. Non-Title I Focus Districts and Focus or Priority Charter Schools are not eligible for this grant.
Each Title I Focus District will receive the following additional allocation(s):
- Title I Focus District base allocation: $50,000 per district
- Title I Priority School: $50,000 per school
- Title I Focus School: $30,000 per school
Please note: Non-Title I Schools and Priority Schools receiving 2014-15 School Improvement Grants under Section 1003(g) or 2014-15 School Innovation Fund Grants are not for eligible for an allocation under Section 1003(a). Only Title I schools providing instruction to students during the 2014-15 school year are eligible for an allocation.
Title I School Improvement 1003(a) funds may not be used for any school level activities in Non-Title I schools. Districts must target funds toward the area(s) of identification and toward the particular subgroup(s) identified for improvement. The funds must be used to complete required school and district reviews and support the goals outlined in the DCIP/SCEP.
Funds may only be used for activities allowed under Title I and must be used for required improvement activities from the following list:
- Conducting district and school level reviews using the Diagnostic Tool for School and District Effectiveness (DTSDE) (including required training costs and administration of any DTSDE parent, staff or student surveys) or conducting a school review (focused on DTSDE Tenet 3) with district oversight,
- Hiring an Outside Educational Expert (OEE) or Distinguished Educator (DE) to help conduct required reviews or implement improvement plans,
- Developing District Comprehensive Improvement and/or School Comprehensive Education Plans (DCIP/SCEP), and
- Implementing activities to achieve a specific major goal from the Board of Education approved DCIP/SCEP (including any goals related to preparing Priority Schools for implementation of one of the four federal intervention models: Turnaround, Transformation, Restart, or Closure).
See application for additional information on allowable activities.
Please Note: There is no carryover for these funds. All activities must be encumbered during the project period below. Funds under this grant may not be used for construction, renovation, furnishings, or acquisition of technology.
All Focus Districts must submit their 2014-15 DCIP and SCEPs to NYSED and post them on their district web site by July 31, 2014. Applications will be accepted from eligible districts that have received NYSED Office of Accountability approval for an extension to submit their plans, but funding will not be approved until the required plans have been received.
Additional information regarding district and school improvement requirements under the ESEA Flexibility waiver may be found at:
September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015
Applications must be postmarked by August 15, 2014.
Budget Amendment Deadline
All budget amendments are subject to review and approval. Amendments must be postmarked by June 30, 2015. Amendments must be submitted with sufficient time for review of any new activities. Amendments to adjust costs for approved activities or adjust fund codes can be accepted at any time during the project period; however supplies exceeding 10% of an activity cost always require a full review and must be submitted by June 30, 2015. Late amendments will not be accepted.
Please Note: This is district grant. Do not submit an application for individual schools.
A complete application consists of one original bearing the original signature of the Superintendent and one electronic copy (email to SIGA@mail.nysed.gov) including the following:
- Cover page (with original signature)
- Title I School Improvement Grant Allocation Chart
- Title I School Improvement Grant Program Narrative Chart(s)
- Assurances and Certification Regarding Lobbying, etc.
- FS-10 Budget (with original signature)
- Form available at http://www.oms.nysed.gov/cafe/forms/
Please include your DISTRICT NAME in the subject line of all e-mail submissions.
Send the completed application to:
Attn: Title I School Improvement, 1003(a) Application
New York State Education Department
Title I School & Community Services, Room 368 EBA
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
For additional information or assistance please contact: