Schools and Districts in Need of Improvement
A total of 532 elementary, middle and high schools and 35 districts statewide have been identified for improvement under the federal No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act. Of these, 99 schools and 4 districts were newly identified this year. Of the identified schools, 483 will receive Title I funds in 2010-11 and are required to offer extra help to eligible low-income students; 373 of these Title I schools must also offer public school choice (as appropriate) to all enrolled students.
A total of 53 schools and 3 districts that were identified for the 2009-10 school year have been removed from the improvement list because they made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for two consecutive years in all areas for which they were identified. An additional 14 schools that were in improvement status during 2009-10 have closed or are in the process of closing. AYP is the minimum level of performance schools and districts must achieve each year and is based on student participation and performance on state assessments. Sixty-four schools identified this year made AYP, and are eligible to be removed from the improvement list if they make AYP again next year.
At the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year, 499 schools and 35 districts were identified. The increase in identified schools and districts follows a change made in the calculation of AYP for the Students with Disabilities subgroup, as well as time adjustment of assessment cut scores based on a later administration of state assessments. The new, higher cut scores for student proficiency on the grades 3-8 English language arts and mathematics assessments announced by the Regents in July 2010 were not used to make AYP determinations in 2009-10 but will first be used for this purpose in 2010-11... (click here for complete News Release Memo).
- Districts that are identified as being in improvement status PDF (26KB)
- Districts newly identified as being in improvement status PDF (20KB)
- Districts that were removed from improvement status PDF (22KB)
- All Districts and status PDF (79KB)
- Schools that are identified as being in improvement status PDF (113KB)
- Schools newly identified as being in improvement status PDF (32KB)
- Schools that were removed from improvement status PDF (49KB)
- Schools closed PDF (23KB)
- All Schools and status PDF (684KB)
- Districts and School Accountability Excel spreadsheet (1.8MB)