Steps to Determine a Students’ ELA Score
- Go to our website – http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/
- In the white session click on How Do I Interpret the Scores.
- Scroll down to Scoring Key and Item Maps.
- Click on icon for year and content area you are scoring.
- Find the grade that you need to score.
- Click on PDF for Scoring Key & Item Map.
- Use this answer key to score the multiple choice items and find the number
- Add up constructed response scores for Book 2, 3 and writing mechanics.
- Add those 3 point values together.
- For 4th and 8th grade ELA multiply that score by 1.38
- Add the number correct for the multiple choice and constructed response
score. This will give you the student's raw score.
- Hit back key twice to go to http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/nystart/what-is-nySTART.shtml
- Find the Raw Score to Scale Score Conversion Charts and click
on the one that again matches the year and content area you are scoring.
- Find the students raw score on the chart and you will now have their scale
- Hit the back key and find the Scale Score to Performance Level Conversion
Charts. It is located right under the Raw Score to Scale Score
- Click on the year and content area and use the students scale score to
find the performance level.