Charter School News Archives
- The Power of Collaboration: Making Education Best Practices a Reality
You’re invited to come connect with fellow educators on May 12, 2015 to hear about the work, best practices, and lessons learned from schools participating in the New York State Dissemination and Replication grants! This conference will highlight the emerging outcomes of 11 charter schools and over 40 district schools involved in dynamic partnerships.
Click here to RSVP for this free conference!
- 1/27/15 - 2015 Charter School Request for Proposals and Application Kit
- 1/27/15 - Public Comment on the Draft 2015 Charter School Request for Proposals and Application Kit
- 10/10/14 - 2014 Request for Proposal Round 3 - BUFFALO ONLY - Announcement and Timeline (426 KB)
- 9/18/14 - Grants Management Compliance and OMB Uniform Grants Guidance Changes (Omni) PowerPoint presentation (1.1 MB) and webinar recording featuring Tiffany Winters, Esq., from Brustein and Manasevit, PLLC. For those without a background in developing financial policies and procedures, a separate PowerPoint presentation (1 MB) tutorial may be helpful.
- 8/12/14 - Funding Available: 2014-15 RFP for NYS Charter School Stimulus Fund Grants (186 KB)
- 7/3/14 - 2014-15 Continuation Application for CSP Planning and Implementation Grants
- 6/24/14 - Board of Regents Approves Two Charter Schools
- 6/11/14 - 2013 - 2014 Annual Report Page
- 5/29/14 - NYS Charter School Academic Performance & Evaluation Handbook (1.5 MB) - The Academic Performance & Evaluation Handbook was developed in accordance with the Performance Framework benchmarks endorsed by the NYS Board of Regents. This handbook was created to support Regents authorized charter schools in meeting student achievement goals and provide a detailed explanation of academic indicators and expectations in Benchmark 1. The CSO's goal is to support the continuous growth and development of each charter school by monitoring, analyzing and applying pertinent data compiled within a system of meaningful feedback to improve student academic progress.
- 5/14/14 - The Fiscal Oversight Guidebook (1 MB) provides a comprehensive fiscal resource for charter schools authorized by the Board of Regents and the New York State Education Department as well as for prospective charter school applicants. The Guidebook offers charter school leaders and applicants information on the expectations related to financial accountability, per the New York State Charter Schools Act. The Guidebook also details policies and practices related to sound fiscal management and internal controls, management of federal and state funding streams, and the continual monitoring and oversight of a school’s financial health and stability by school leaders and Trustees.
- 4/10/14 - Guidance on Homeless Students attending Charter Schools (219 KB)
Charter Schools and School Districts often have questions about responsibilities and processes related to the education of children who are, or who become, homeless. Please see the memo at the link above for information and responses to frequently asked questions on this issue.
- 4/10/14 - Audit Guide (updated May 2014)
- 4/7/14 - New York Non-Profit Revitalization Act of 2013 (115 KB)
Please note: Pursuant to Section 2854(1)(e) of the NYS Charter Schools Act, charter schools are specifically subject to Article 6 (Freedom of Information Law) and Article 7 (Open Meetings Law) of the NYS Public Officers Law. To the extent that there may be inconsistencies between some provisions of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law and those sections of the Public Officers Law, the provisions of the Public Officers Law govern and are controlling.
- 2/10/14 - Revisions Q & A (96 KB)
- 1/6/14 - 2014 Charter School Request for Proposals and Application Kit
- The NYSED Technology Readiness Tool - The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is preparing for a transition to computer-based testing, using the NYSED Technology Readiness Tool (https://trt.nysed.gov/) . Nonpublic and charter schools are encouraged to participate in the Technology Readiness Tool by providing a point of contact to NYSED at email@example.com. When you provide a point of contact for your school's use of the Technology Readiness Tool, s/he will receive a welcome message to get started with the Technology Readiness Tool. A recommended point person could be your school's technology or data director/coordinator. Questions about the Technology Readiness Tool may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about the transition to computer-based testing, please refer to NYSED's computer-based testing webpage.