This memo contains important and timely information regarding special education data collection requirements for the 2010-11 school year. Please review the information provided below and if you have any questions regarding your reporting responsibilities, contact the IRS/SEDCAR unit by telephone at (518) 474-7965 or by sending an e-mail message to email@example.com.
Compared to the 2009-10 school year, the following changes will be implemented during the 2010-11 school year:
- All reports displayed in the PD data system will display the following seven race/ethnicity categories or collect data according to these categories: Hispanic or Latino; American Indian or Alaska Native (Not of Hispanic Origin); Asian (Not of Hispanic Origin); Black or African American (Not of Hispanic Origin); Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not of Hispanic Origin); White (Not of Hispanic Origin); and Two or More Races (Not of Hispanic Origin). These reporting categories are consistent with how race/ethnicity data are collected through the Student Information Repository System (SIRS) for the 2010-11 school year.
- The VR-10 – Report of Students with Disabilities Exiting Special Education will be revised. Section B, Reports 1-15B will contain data for students with disabilities who were enrolled as of October 6, 2010 but exited later in the same school year. In previous school years these reports contained data for all students with disabilities, ages 14-21 who exited special education at any time during the school year.
- The verification and certification process for special education reports displayed through the PD data system for data collected through SIRS will be the same as during the 2009-10 school year except that the PD data system will stop refreshing the data after the established certification date. During the verification period, the data will be refreshed on a weekly basis from the Level 2 repository and displayed in the VR reports for your review. After the last refresh, all school districts will certify their data electronically by selecting one of the following two certification options. These options will appear below each VR report on the last refresh date:
- I certify that my school district’s data are complete and accurate;
- I cannot certify that my school district’s data are complete and accurate; however, I understand that the deadline for making corrections has passed and that these data may be used for all reports and decisions.
After one of the above certifications is selected, there will be an appeals period within which school districts that encountered data systems issues may submit requests for another refresh from the data repository. It is very important that school districts complete their data submission responsibilities during the verification time period. Please note that while this is a change in policy regarding correction of special education data after the certification due date, this policy is consistent with current rules for revising data in the accountability reports.;
The following are important reporting dates for the 2010-11 school year
- The 2010-11, PD-6, Report of Special Education Personnel Employed or Contracted to Provide Special Education Services is posted at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar/, under the 2010-11 school year. The due date for this report is Tuesday, February 1, 2011.
- The 2010-11, PD-8, Report of Students with Disabilities Suspended or Removed to an Interim Alternative Education Setting is posted at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar/, under the 2010-11 school year. The due date for this report is on Friday, August 5, 2011.
- The VR10, Report of Students with Disabilities Exiting Special Education is required to be certified on August 3, 2010.
All materials related to requirements for reporting special education data to the State for the 2010-11 school year are posted or a link to them is available at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar/. Special education data are collected through SIRS and the PD data system. The primary documentation for data that must be submitted through SIRS is the 2010-11 SIRS Manual, the link to which will be available at the websites identified above. The documentation for data that must be submitted directly through the PD data system or through regular mail is included with each form (i.e., PD-6, PD-8, SEDCAR-1 and SEDCAR-2 forms) and in the Self Review Monitoring Protocols for special education State Performance Plan (SPP) Indicators 4, 9, 10 and 13. For description of these and all other special education indicators and for copies of all the self review monitoring protocols, and other information related to each indicator, please see the SPP home page at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/spp/.
Special Education Data Collected Through SIRS
The chart below provides a description of each type of data that school districts must submit through SIRS, the verification reports which display the data, the verification time period, and the certification due date. Special education data verification and certification takes place through the PD data system at http://pd.nysed.gov. One PD data system contact person and one school district data coordinator has a user ID and password to access this system. Certification can only be provided by the PD data system contact person. If there are new contact persons in your school district, please call SEDCAR at (518) 474-7965 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new user ID and password.
||Type of Data and Required Templates
||Verification Period, and Final Date for Data Certification
|VR7 and VR9
||These reports provide a VIEW only of the number of students with disabilities who are the CPSE or CSE responsibility of other school districts, but as of October 6, 2010 are placed in your school district, as reported by their districts of residence. These reports provide an aggregate count of preschool (VR7) and school age (VR9) students with disabilities enrolled in your school district. Individual student identification information is NOT provided in these reports.
If these reports do not agree with your record of how many students with disabilities your district is educating from other districts, please contact the other school districts that reported these data to let them know so they may correct their reporting.
In order to be proactive and assist school districts of residence report accurate enrollment information, we recommend that you provide each district of residence enrollment information on students with disabilities who are placed in your school district as of October 6, 2010. Please do this as soon as possible in October or early November to facilitate accurate reporting by school districts of residence.
|Please view the VR7 and VR9 reports beginning on October 13, 2010. These reports will be refreshed every Wednesday until January 12, 2011.
No certification is required for these reports.
||This report displays preschool and school-age students with disabilities who are declassified or end enrollment during the 2010-11 school year. Information is also included regarding type of credential students earn and their postgraduate plans. Data are displayed for all students with disabilities for whom the district has CPSE or CSE responsibility. Data are displayed by disability, age, race/ethnicity, gender and LEP status of students with disabilities who leave school during the 2010-11 school year. These data are reported through SIRS, using the School Enrollment, Student Demographic and Programs Fact templates. School districts may but are not required to report type of credential or postgraduate plans of students with disabilities for whom they have CSE responsibility only.
||Data verification is between June 1, 2011 and August 10, 2011.
Data displayed in VR10 Report on August 10, 2011 will need to be certified.
Special Education Data Collected Directly Through the PD Data System
The chart below provides a summary of aggregate data that are required to be submitted through the PD data system and the due dates. One PD data system contact person and one data coordinator in each school district has a user ID and password to access this system. Data entry and certification can only be provided by the PD data system contact person. If there are new contact persons in your school district, please contact IRS/SEDCAR at (518) 474-7965 or by e-mail to email@example.com to request a new user ID and password.
|Type of School
||Type of Data
||This report requests the total full-time equivalent (FTE) number of special education personnel in selected titles who are employed or contracted to provide special education services to preschool and school age students with disabilities on or about October 6, 2010. This form and its accompanying directions is posted at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar/ , under the 2010-11 school year heading.
||Between October 6, 2010 and February 1, 2011
Certification is required by February 1, 2011.
||This report requests the number of students with disabilities who are suspended, expelled or removed to an interim alternative education setting during the 2010-11 school year. Data collected by type of disciplinary removal, by disability, race/ethnicity, gender and LEP status. Data regarding provision of educational services during expulsion is also requested for students with and without disabilities. This form is posted at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar/, under the 2010-11 school year heading.
||Between July 1, 2011 and August 5, 2011.
Certification is required by August 5, 2011.
For your reference, this memo will be posted at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sedcar, look under the 2010-11 school year heading and under the communications section of this website.