Minimum Requirements of a Response to Intervention Program (RtI)
VII. Notification to Parents
A school district's process to determine if a student responds to scientific, research-based instruction shall include written notification to the parents when the student requires an intervention beyond that provided to all students in the general education classroom that provides information about:
(a) the amount and nature of student performance data that will be collected and the general education services that will be provided pursuant to the structure and components of the RtI program selected by the school district;
(b) strategies for increasing the student’s rate of learning; and
(c) the parents’ right to request an evaluation for special education programs and/or services. [8NYCRR §100.2(ii)(1)(vi)]
Procedures for Parent Notification
While it is expected that parents are involved and kept informed of their child’s progress in school at all levels, when students participate in the RtI process, there are specific parent notification requirements. Parents must be notified in writing and in a language or mode of communication they understand if their child needs an intervention beyond that which is provided to all students in the classroom in an RtI process. Such parents must specifically be notified in writing:
- how much and what kind of information (data) the school will collect to monitor the student’s progress;
- the nature of the intervention/instructional support the student will receive; and
- of the parent’s right to request an evaluation for special education services.
The school should establish clear procedures to meet these requirements, including but not limited to, procedures for:
- determining the method for written parental notification;
- the manner and frequency of parent and staff communication; and
- the manner and frequency in which progress monitoring data will be provided to parents.
In the event a student is referred for an evaluation to determine if the student has a learning disability, the parent will have received appropriate data-based documentation of repeated assessments of achievement at reasonable intervals, reflecting formal assessment of student progress during instruction. (8NYCRR §200.4(j)(1)(ii)(b))
Quality Indicators for Parent Notification
- General information about the RtI process is provided to all parents.
- The notification to parents when a student needs supplemental intervention includes all required information and is provided in a language the parent understands.
- Parents of students receiving an intervention beyond that of the general education class are informed of the right to request an evaluation for special education services at any time.
- The nature and frequency of communication between parents and staff is clearly defined.
- The frequency of providing progress monitoring data to parents is adequate and appropriate to ensure they are regularly informed of their child’s progress.