Highlights of the Commissioner’s Advisory Panel
Accomplishments for 2014-15
The Commissioner’s Advisory Panel (CAP) for Special Education Services was established pursuant to P.L. 94-142, Education of the Handicapped Act. Section 4403(6) of Education Law, section 612 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and section 300.169 of the Code of Federal Regulations prescribe its responsibilities. CAP provides recommendations to the Commissioner of Education and the P-12: Office of Special Education with respect to special education and related services for children with disabilities in New York State (NYS). The Commissioner shares appropriate recommendations with the Governor and Legislature.
During the 2014-15 school year, CAP received information and provided comment on the following policies:
- Multiple Pathways to a High School Diploma;
- State Performance Plan and Annual Performance Report data, targets and interventions;
- Proposed State Systemic Improvement Plan (SSIP) specific to data analysis and infrastructure to support improvement of student performance on 3-8 English Language Arts State Assessments;
- New York State Public High School Athletic Association and New York State Special Olympics jointly sponsored Unified Sports inclusive high school athletic sports program;
- Proposed Amendment to Part 154 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education as related to English language learners who are students with disabilities;
- New York State Education Department’s Draft Blueprint for Success for Students with Disabilities;
- New York State Department of Health’s Health Homes for Children initiatives as related to recommendations and strategies for collaboration with school districts;
- Identification of challenges specific to the use of assistive technology in schools and recommendations for professional development, guidance and statewide systems of support to increase student access to assistive technology; and
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports specific to Tier 3 wrap-around services for students requiring intensive and individualized behavioral support.