Highlights of the Commissioner’s Advisory Panel Accomplishments
Accomplishments for 2012-13
The Commissioner’s Advisory Panel (CAP) for Special Education Services was established pursuant to P.L. 94-142, Education of the Handicapped Act. Section 4403(6) of Education Law, section 612 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and section 300.169 of the Code of Federal Regulations prescribe its responsibilities. CAP provides recommendations to the Commissioner of Education and the P-12: Office of Special Education with respect to special education and related services for children with disabilities in New York State (NYS). The Commissioner shares appropriate recommendations with the Governor and Legislature.
During the 2012-13 school year, CAP received information and provided comment on the following policies:
- least restrictive environment (preschool and school age);
- State Performance Plan and Annual Performance Report data, targets and interventions;
- special education dispute resolution, including impartial hearing data and the process for mediation in NYS;
- individualized education program facilitation;
- Career Development and Occupational Studies Commencement Credential; and
- changes to the NYS Alternate Assessment.