Proposed Plan for 2012-13 Commissioner's Advisory Panel for Special Education Services
Updated February 2013
- Advisory capacity to the New York State Education Department, P-12: Office of Special Education
- Provide policy guidance regarding special education and related services, as prescribed by section 4403 (6) of New York State Education Law, section 612 of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and sections 300.167 – 300.169 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
- To advise the Governor, Legislature and the Commissioner of the State Education Department of unmet needs within the State in the education of children with disabilities.
- To comment publicly on:
- any rules or regulations proposed for issuance by the Commissioner regarding the education of children with disabilities.
- the procedures for distribution of funds under Article 89 of the State Education Law.
- To advise the State Education Department with the development of:
- procedures for evaluations of the special education system and reporting on data to the Secretary of Education under section 618 of IDEA.
- corrective action plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports under Part B of IDEA.
- implementation of policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
- To advise the State Education Department on the education of eligible students with disabilities who have been convicted as adults and incarcerated in adult prisons.
|Canceled due to Hurricane Sandy||