The Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs
Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012: “Protection of People with Special Needs Act” is effective on June 30, 2013 and makes changes to the requirements for the standards for the protection of day and residential students who attend a residential school (i.e., the New York State School for the Blind, the New York State School for the Deaf, a State-supported school which has a residential component, a special act school district, or an approved private residential school). Chapter 501 also established the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs, which will assume the functions and responsibilities of the former Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities. The Justice Center will be responsible for investigations of allegations of serious abuse and neglect of vulnerable persons in State-operated and licensed facilities, including residential schools under the State Education Department's (SED) oversight; overseeing implementation of the procedures of State oversight agencies for tracking, investigating and monitoring corrective actions of allegations of abuse, neglect and significant incidents; maintaining a register of individuals who have committed serious acts of abuse (Staff Exclusion List); and establishing codes of conduct of ethical standards to which all individuals who have regular contact with people with special needs would be held accountable. Additional information regarding Chapter 501 and the Justice Center is available at http://www.governor.ny.gov/Justice4SpecialNeeds/home. A copy of the full text of the law can be viewed at http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/justice4specialneeds/LBDCinfo.htm.
To assist SED approved residential schools, below is up-to-date information related to Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012: “Protection of People with Special Needs Act” and the Justice Center.
- September 2013 - Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012 (“Protection of People with Special Needs Act”) - Immediate Protections Safety Assessment
- Questions and Answers
- August 2013 - Interim Process: Provider Staff Exclusion List Checks - PDF (184 KB)
- July 2013 - Report of the Death of a Student in a Residential School Pursuant to 8 NYCRR Section 200.15(f)(1)(ii) - Word (27 KB)
- July 2013 - Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012 (“Protection of People with Special Needs Act”) - Immediate Protections Safety Assessment and Off Hours Emergency Contact Information for Residential Schools
- Notice to Mandated Reporters Webinar - June 25, 2013
- June 2013 - Wallet Card for Hotline (487 KB)
- June 2013 - Distribution of VPCR Hotline Posters (203 KB)
- June 2013 - Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012 ("Protection of People with Special Needs Act"): Code of Conduct for Custodians and Notice of Mandated Reporters
- May 2013 - Justice Center Staff Exclusion List
- May 2013 - Chapter 501 of the Laws of 2012: “Protection of People with Special Needs Act”