Publications for Parents
The following publications are available as resources for parents of students with disabilities:
- A Parent's Guide to Response to Intervention provides information for parents, families and others regarding Response to Intervention (RtI). RtI is a process used in schools which provides additional help to assist students to keep up with learning, particularly in reading and math.
- A Parent's Guide to Special Education provides information for parents, guardians and other family members about laws, regulations and policies affecting special education programs and services. It is also available in Spanish.
- Information for Parents of Preschool Students with Disabilities AGES 3-5 provides information to parents of preschool children suspected of having a disability. It is also available in Spanish.
- Resolving Concerns About Your Child's Special Education Services? provides information and steps to resolve concerns regarding your child and his/her special education programs or services.
- Are you the parent of a Child with a Disability? contains information relating to access to the general education curriculum and the safety net for students with disabilities who pursue a Regents or local high school diploma.
- Special Education Mediation - Real Solutions Where Everybody Wins describes a cooperative way to help resolve differences of opinion between parents and school districts regarding special education programs and services.
- Parts 200 and 201 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education dictate the responsibilities of school districts and provide definitions as related to services for students with disabilities.
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services for High School Students – Q & A for Parents provides information on eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services and placement services including job-seeking skills training, employer referrals, work tryouts and on-the-job services. A similar brochure is available for students also.
Most of these publications are available in PDF format to allow for printing from the web. Additional single copies may be obtained from Special Education Publications, 89 Washington Avenue, Room 309 EB, Albany, NY 12234. Additional publications are also available. You may also register for our listserv to receive notice of the latest information and publications available relating to students with disabilities.