Attachment 6 - Transition and the New York State Career Development and
Occupational Studies (CDOS) Commencement Credential
Transition and the New York State Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) Commencement Credential - PDF (169 KB)
The following chart describes the strong connection between the proposed credential and appropriate and effective individualized education program (IEP) transition planning and services for students with disabilities.
|Beginning not later than the school year when a student turns age 15, the IEP must include transition goals and services.||A student’s preferences and interests as identified in his/her career plan shall be reviewed annually and considered in the development of the student’s IEP.|
|Transition Needs and Goals:
• A statement of the student’s needs, taking into account the student’s strengths, preferences and interests as they relate to transition from school to post-school activities.
• Appropriate measurable post-secondary goals and measurable annual goals relating to training, education, employment and, where appropriate, independent living skills.
• Ensures the student is actively engaged in career exploration.
• Includes a statement of the student’s self-identified career interests; career-related strengths and needs; career goals; and career and technical education (CTE) coursework and work-based learning experiences that the student plans to engage in to achieve those goals.
|The IEP must include a statement of a student’s course of study to address transition needs.||
Student demonstrates commencement level knowledge and skills relating to the CDOS learning standards:
Student may complete CTE courses toward the minimum instructional hours required for the credential.
|Needed activities to facilitate the student’s movement from school to post-school activities, including instruction; related services; community experiences; development of employment and other post-adult living objectives; and as appropriate acquisition of daily living skills and functional vocational evaluation.||Student has successfully completed not less than the equivalent of two units of study in:
• CTE courses (SED or locally approved); and/or
• Work-based learning experiences
Requirement to Develop an Exit Summary:
Before the termination of a student's eligibility due to graduation with a local high school or Regents diploma or exceeding the age eligibility for FAPE, the district must provide the student with:
a summary of the student’s academic achievement and functional performance, and
recommendations on how to assist the student in meeting his or her post-secondary goals.