Revised New York State Procedural Safeguards Notice: Rights for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Ages 3-21
Individuals and Organizations Interested in the Education of Students with Disabilities
James P. DeLorenzo
Attached is the revised mandatory New York State Procedural Safeguards Notice: Rights for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Ages 3-21. References to the Office of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID) were replaced with the Office of Special Education, the mailing address for filing of a State complaint was updated and website links were updated. None of the changes are substantive, and therefore districts are not required to replace any previously duplicated copies to disseminate to parents, but should use this version when making new duplications of the notice.
The procedural safeguards notice must be provided to parents of a student with a disability, at a minimum one time per year and also upon:
- initial referral or parental request for evaluation;
- request by a parent;
- the first filing of a due process complaint notice to request mediation or an impartial due process hearing;
- a decision to impose a suspension or removal that constitutes a disciplinary change in placement; and
- receipt of a parent’s first State complaint in a school year.
School districts are encouraged to develop their own cover letter to parents to accompany the required notice. School districts may add an addendum of local district policies but may not change the content of the State-mandated procedural safeguards notice.
This notice and updated versions will be available through the Department’s web site at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/. If you have questions about this information, please contact the Office of Special Education, Special Education Policy Unit, at 518-473-2878 or your Regional Associate at one of the following Special Education Quality Assurance Regional Offices:
Central Regional Office (315) 476-5081
Eastern Regional Office (518) 486-6366
Hudson Valley Regional Office (518) 473-1185
Long Island Regional Office (631) 884-8530
New York City Regional Office (718) 722-4544
Western Regional Office (585) 344-2002
Nondistrict Unit (518) 473-1185
* Please note: If you would like to receive notification of our publications via e-mail, register at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/publications/register.htm.