Suspension of the Approval of Special Education Programs for Preschool Students with Disabilities and Private Schools for School-Age Students with Disabilities
SPECIAL EDUCATION FIELD ADVISORY
FROM: James P. DeLorenzo
SUBJECT: Suspension of the Approval of Special Education Programs for Preschool Students with Disabilities and Private Schools for School-Age Students with Disabilities - PDF (56 KB)
Effective immediately, the New York State Education Department (NYSED), P-12: Office of Special Education is initiating a temporary administrative suspension of the approval of applications for:
- initial approval of preschool (ages 3-5) special education programs,
- initial approval of school-age (ages 5-21) private school programs, and
- applications for expansions of currently approved preschool special education programs and approved school-age private schools.
The suspension of application approvals will apply to all applications that did not receive final approval from NYSED prior to November 5, 2012. This temporary suspension of approvals will remain in effect until such time as NYSED completes a review and revision to the application process for new programs and modifications to approved programs. However, NYSED may determine it is necessary to provide an exception, on a case-by-case basis, if there is a compelling case that students would otherwise be unable to obtain necessary services from existing providers and programs.
The review and revision of the existing application process will include, but not be limited to, changes to address:
- services, staffing and methodologies necessary to ensure provision of high-quality programs;
- program environments that ensure the health and safety of students with disabilities;
- appropriate agency background and qualifications to provide sound fiscal practices; and
- governance qualifications that will provide effective fiscal and program oversight.
Additional background information on this initiative can be found on our website at http://www.regents.nysed.gov/meetings/2012Meetings/November2012/1112p12audbfa1.pdf. Questions regarding this memorandum may be directed to the Special Education Preschool Unit at (518) 473-0170 or to the NYSED Special Education Quality Assurance Office at:
Central Regional Office (315) 428-4556
Eastern Regional Office (518) 486-6366
Hudson Valley Regional Office (518) 473-1185
Long Island Regional Office (631) 952-3352
New York City Regional Office (718) 722-4544
Western Regional Office (585) 344-2002
Nondistrict Unit (518) 473-1185