Our regional offices are here to help you. If you have general questions about special education or have a specific question about special education services, please contact the Quality Assurance office located in your region. When contacting the regional office, please identify your county, school district or special education program so that you may be directed to the appropriate Regional Associate.
Eastern Regional Office - (518) 486-6366
Hudson Valley Regional Office - (518) 473-1185
Central Regional Office - (315) 428-4556
Western Regional Office - (585) 344-2002
Long Island Regional Office - (631) 952-3352
New York City Regional Office - (718) 722-4544
Nondistrict Unit - (518) 473-1185
Responsibilities of the Quality Assurance Offices:
Within each office, Regional Associates, who are employees of the State Education Department, are assigned to specific school districts and special education programs. The Regional Associate oversees preschool and school-age special education services, and serves as a resource to parents, school district personnel and private providers. Responsibilities include:
- Conduct Quality Assurance Reviews of public and private special education programs. The purpose of the review is to determine compliance with federal and State special education laws and regulations. Areas of strength and weakness in regard to effective evaluation and instructional practices are identified as part of the review process. The goal of the review is to make programs more effective and to positively affect student results.
- Provide technical assistance to parents, school district personnel, and special education programs.
- Provide general information regarding services for students with disabilities to parents, school district personnel, private providers, and other stakeholders.
- Oversee certain grant applications for the expenditure of federal IDEA funds.
- Investigate complaints alleging a public or private special education program's noncompliance with federal or State law or regulation pertaining to the education of students with disabilities.
You may email quality assurance regional offices to address specific questions related to your school district or child.