Personnel Shortage Projects
A variety of professional development resources are available from the New York State Education Department (NYSED), Office of Special Education to address personnel shortages areas.
Bilingual/English Language Learner (ELL)
- Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE) was created to assist with the shortage of certified bilingual and English as a second language (ESL) special education teachers, bilingual teachers of the speech and hearing handicapped, and bilingual pupil personnel professionals. This State-funded program provides tuition assistance for fifteen credits of specialized coursework and facilitates the certification process for these professionals who are currently working in NYS public schools or approved preschools.
- New York City Preschool Bilingual/ESL Technical Assistance Center - The purpose of the Bilingual/ESL Preschool TAC is to increase the capacity of section 4410 preschools located in New York City to serve preschool students with disabilities with limited English proficiency by providing services in the following two areas training and referrals to ITI-BSE.
- Speech-Language and Bilingual Speech-Language Personnel Development Technical Assistance Center (SLPD-TAC) provides online coursework and other supports needed to obtain initial or professional certification in teaching students with speech and language disabilities and licensure in Speech-Language Pathology for individuals who are committed to work in New York City Public Schools.
Intensive Teacher Institute for Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired (ITI-TVI) is designed to provide tuition assistance to students and teachers interested in becoming TVIs to address the shortage across the State. Individuals who enroll in the ITI-TVI must serve as TVIs in New York State for a minimum of two years following completion of the program.
For more information about the ITI-TVI, please contact the two colleges offering programs leading to certification as a TVI:
- CUNY Hunter. http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/school-of-education/programs/graduate/special-education/blind-visually-impaired. Please contact Rosanne Silberman at (212) 772-4740 or email@example.com.
- Dominican College. http://www.dominican.calls.net/teacher-education-2/tvi-program/. Please contact Yvette Blitzer at (845) 848-4119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.