Special Education

Who Can Help?

The following list describes people in your community who may have information you need. Once you identify who can help, click on the underlined term to go to the list for contact information to find the person who covers your area.

People Who Can Help and How They Can Help.

Transition Specialists: Provide technical assistance and problem-solving help to schools, families and community service programs to improve transition planning and services.

Regional Special Education Technical Assistance Support Centers (RSE-TASC): Provide training and disseminate publications and information to school personnel and families about special education issues, including transition.

Regional Special Education Quality Assurance Offices: Able to answer questions about what schools are required to do about transition planning and services and can suggest strategies if family has significant problems with a specific school.

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors: Provide vocational rehabilitation counseling to eligible individuals with disabilities who need assistance with career planning and locating suitable employment.

Independent Living Centers: Provide technical assistance to individuals with disabilities, families and schools about independent living possibilities and resources, particularly disability benefits planning. Can help with advocacy needs.

New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilitiesexternal link:  NYS OPWDD assists people with developmental disabilities live richer lives.  They can provide a number of services to those who qualify.

Last Updated: June 4, 2014