Student Support Services (SSS)
The Student Support Services office promotes school improvement by focusing on social and emotional development and learning through programs, services and activities related to:
- Pupil Personnel Services
- School and Student Health
- Expanded Learning Opportunities
- Social/Emotional Development and Learning (SEDL)
- Safe Schools & Alternative Education
- Letter from Commissioner King Regarding Statewide Math and Reading Exams (322KB)
Although placement and retention decisions are made at the district level, the Department neither requires nor encourages districts to make promotion or placement decisions using student performance on state assessments in grades 3-8. If districts choose to consider state assessments in grades 3-8 when making promotion or placement decisions, they should make adjustments to ensure students are not negatively impacted by the Common Core transition and should use multiple measures for this purpose – not grades 3-8 state assessment results alone – including the judgments of a student's teacher and principal.
- Community Schools Grant Initiative (CSGI) award list has been posted
- #02-2013 Field Memo: Amendments to FERPA Affecting Students in Foster Care (184KB)
- Field Memo - Educational Stability for Students in Foster Care
- Examination schedules have been posted on the Office of Assessment Policy, Development and Administration (APDA) page. Please refer to the APDA page for information on important changes in the testing program.
- Dignity For All Students Act Web Site
- SEDL Guidelines ( 871.30 MB) Adopted by NYS Board of Regents July 18, 2011
- 8/27/10 - Guidance on Bullying and Cyberbullying