Pupil Transportation

Homeless Transportation

A homeless child is defined as a child who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. Where a student has been placed in emergency housing by the Department of Social Services (DSS) outside of the school district the student has designated to attend and is eligible for Emergency Assistance for Families (EAF), transportation shall be provided by DSS. 

Where DSS is not responsible, the public school district where the child attends school shall provide transportation, not in excess of 50 miles, unless the Commissioner of Education certifies that transportation in excess of 50 miles is in the best interest of the child. (Education Law Section 3209 and Section 100.2(x) of the Commissioner's Regulations)

Districts are eligible for State Aid for transportation expenses for homeless students. For more information about how districts can receive State Aid for transportation expenses see: The State Aid Website.

Runaway Homeless Youth Shelter Transportation:
When an unaccompanied youth is temporarily residing in a Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY) shelter located outside of the school district of attendance, it is the school district’s responsibility to transport the student to the school of origin. (N.Y. Education Law § 3209(4)(b)). While such school district may contract with a board of cooperative educational services or a residential program for runaway and homeless youth for the provision of such transportation, the school district is responsible for paying for the contracted transportation service. (id.) Public school districts must complete the RHY Reimbursement Form to receive reimbursement from the State for the cost of transporting these students.

Last Updated: April 19, 2024