Special Education

Modification Application for Approval to Expand and/or Modify a School-Age Approved Private School Program

November 2013


James P. DeLorenzo

Modification Application for Approval to Expand and/or Modify a School-Age Approved Private School Program - PDF PDF document (672 KB - memo and attachments)

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has revised its application materials and will now accept applications from agencies seeking State approval to modify or expand an already approved school-age private school special education program.  The “School-Age Approved Private School Modification Request Application for New York State Education Department Approval to Expand and/or Modify an Existing Private School for Students with Disabilities In-State or Out-of-State, Day/Residential Program” and related materials are available at https://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/applications/schoolage-home.html.

For all proposed modifications that involve expansion in capacity (e.g., adding classes, increasing class size) and/or changes to geographic region to be served beyond what the program currently serves, the applicant must, prior to submitting its application, receive written confirmation from NYSED’s Office of Special Education, Special Education Quality Assurance (SEQA) Regional Office where the applying agency is located, that regional need has been established for the proposed program change(s).  A copy of NYSED’s determination of regional need must be attached to the application.  Further information on the regional need process may be found at the website above.

Questions regarding this memorandum and the application may be directed to the P-12: Office of Special Education at (518) 473-6108 or to the SEQA Regional Office in your region.

Central Regional Office                (315) 428-4556
Eastern Regional Office               (518) 486-6366
Hudson Valley Regional Office     (518) 473-1185
Long Island Regional Office         (631) 952-3352
New York City Regional Office     (718) 722-4544      
Western Regional Office              (585) 344-2002
Nondistrict Unit                            (518) 473-1185


Last Updated: November 6, 2013