Special Education

Assistance for Parents

Information for Parents

The are many publications available as resources for parents of students with disabilities.

Information on Dispute Resolution

  • All school districts must offer special education mediation as a means to resolve disputes relating to the identification, evaluation, educational placement or the provision of a free appropriate public education to a child with a disability. Request for Special Education Mediation
  • If a parent, individual or organization believes that a school district or public agency has violated a requirement of Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or State law/regulation related to the education of students with disabilities, they may submit a written, signed State complaint to the New York State Education Department. Sample State Complaint Form
  • You may request an impartial hearing to resolve a disagreement about the referral, evaluation or placement of a student or regarding the provision of a free appropriate public education for a student under the IDEA. Sample Due Process Complaint Notice Form To Request An Impartial Hearing

Other Helpful Resources

  • A list of additional resources and websites that are designed for parents and families of children with disabilities
  • Please feel free to call the office in your region of the State or contact us by email. Regional Associates work with local districts, parents, and other stakeholders to assist them in both understanding the complex issues related to special education services and resolving concerns that may arise. We are committed to working together to improve the services to students with disabilities and we value your input and feedback in this process.

Other State Agencies

Last Updated: June 30, 2022