General Education & Diploma Requirements
This page provides access to a summary chart (41 KB) of the various diploma and credential types as well as a General Education & Diploma Requirements Chart (51 KB) updated November 2012, which highlights diploma requirements for students entering Grade 9 in 2005 through 2012. (Note: PDF file, formatted to print best on 8.5" x 14" paper.) This chart includes information on the required units of credit and examinations for a Regents diploma, a Regents diploma with advanced designation, or a local diploma. It reflects the change in regulations that was enacted in 2009 to extend the existing Regents Competency Test (RCT) safety net to all eligible students with disabilities entering grade 9 prior to the 2011-12 school year. It also reflects the change to regulations enacted in 2012 that expanded the safety net option for students with disabilities who enter grade 9 in 2005 and thereafter.
The chart is similar in format to the ones previously distributed by the Department entitled General Education & Requirements Chart (June 2007) and Diploma Requirements for Students Entering Grade 9 (September 2000) (20.86 KB). Each column of which is linked to a page that provides more detailed information in html format.
Users are encouraged to reference the Part 100 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, especially Section 100.5 for complete high school diploma requirements and alternatives for specific diploma requirements (see 100.5(d)). There are other Part 100 sections that may be useful, such as §100.1 Definitions, §100.2(d) Languages Other Than English (LOTE), and §135, Health & Physical Education.
Other Important Diploma Information
- Appeal to Graduate with a Lower Score on a Regents Exam (40KB)
- *Updated details on the RCT Safety Net (May 23, 2011)
- Field Advisory from the Office of Special Education (November 2012) Amendment to Section 100.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to the Safety Net for Students with Disabilities to Graduate with a Local High School Diploma
- Chart of Commencement Level (Grades 9-12) General Education and Diploma Requirements for students entering grade 9 in 2002-2010 (January 2010) (71.86 KB)
(Note: PDF file, formatted to print best on 8.5" x 14" paper.)
- Diploma Requirements for Students Entering Grade 9 in 1996-2001 (September 2000)
- Assessment Pathways to a Regents and Local Diploma for General Education Students (22KB)
Summary of Diploma Requirements for Students Who First Enter Grade 9 in:
For further questions and comments, email firstname.lastname@example.org