The New York State Education Department’s firm commitment to a P-12 educational system has been reaffirmed with the establishment of the Office of Early Learning (OEL).
The OEL is responsible for a wide range of educational programs and works closely with parents, early care and education agencies, schools and state agencies to coordinate programs and resources with the goal of making New York’s early learning system as comprehensive and seamless as possible.
Specific programs include:
The OEL is also tasked with ensuring that the early learning initiatives outlined in the Race to the Top application (RttT) are successful.
- Establishing world class internationally benchmarked early learning standards to improve school readiness and facilitate greater success with the transition between preschool, kindergarten, and early elementary education
- Developing a comprehensive assessment protocol and data system for Preschool – Grade 3, including the addition of an early childhood component to the NYSED public report cards for districts and schools
- Developing practices, strategies and programs that improve educational outcomes for Preschool – Grade 3, particularly in high-needs environments
- Developing a tool for parents’ use in identifying high quality settings in preschool
- Developing a Statewide and National Early Learning Network