The bill eliminating the requirement for an annual visual inspection (AVI) for all public school buildings in New York State (outside of New York City) was signed into law by Governor Cuomo.
Chapter 437 of the Laws of 2014 states that “the Commissioner of Education shall review the effectiveness of repealing the requirement for the annual inspection of all public school buildings throughout New York State and make recommendations on whether school Districts shall continue to be exempt from such inspection. Such report shall be issued to the Governor and the Legislation on or before January 1, 2019.”
Therefore, based on the language in this law the requirement for AVIs has been suspended until at least the 2018- 19 school year. At that point, a determination will be made whether or not to permanently eliminate the AVI requirement.
In the meantime, the State Education Department Office of Facilities Planning will not require nor accept AVI reports.
- The deadline for 2015 Building Condition Survey (BCS) data entry and submission has been extended to November 18th, 2016. Your submission is not final until it has been certified by the school superintendent. You will know that your submission is final when each BCS record has moved from the ‘inbox’ to the ‘outbox’ for your district in the SED Business Portal. When properly submitted, the BCS record will no longer appear in your ‘inbox’. Please confirm this. (09/06/16)
- If BCS records do not indicate a submitted date of 11/18/16, building aid for the BCS will be forfeited. (09/06/16)
- We have received calls from districts that submitted the BCS records by the original deadline of 06/30/16, but still have unsubmitted records in their inbox in the portal. Districts should check the records remaining in the portal, and if not needed to be submitted (blank copy or record with errors), the record should be labeled 'DELETE' as the unique identifier (building name) and saved. We will be running a clean-up program to remove any records that have been named 'delete' from the portal. (07/20/16)
The online BCS survey is accessed by the superintendent via the NYSED Application Business Portal. A link to the portal is listed below. If anyone other than the superintendent needs to access the portal for BCS online data entry, the superintendent must give entitlements to the other personnel. A link to the SEDDAS User Guide with information on how to give entitlements to others can be viewed in the portal.
Questions about online BCS data entry should be directed to (518) 474-3906 or email@example.com with '2015 BCS' in the subject line.
- NYSED Application Business Portal (12/17/15)
- 2015 BCS Instructions (41KB) (12/15/15)
- (671KB) (06/01/16)
- 2015 Building Condition Survey - Reference Document (64KB) (02/26/16)
- 2015 Building Condition Survey - Building & System Rating Information (11KB) 01/12/16
- 2015 Building Condition Survey Aid - see information on the State Aid web site (05/18/16)
2013 BCS/AVI Report The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. (01/08/15)
2012 BCS/AVI Report The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. (01/24/14)
2011 BCS/AVI Report The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. (01/24/14)
2010 Building Condition Survey The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. You may print the survey to use to mark up changes in conditions discovered in the field.
BCS aid reminder: Districts that did not submit Building Condition Survey (BCS) Forms to Facilities Planning by 6/30/11 will lose 2010-11 BCS Aid and/or will not be able to claim 2011-12 BCS Aid. (11-01-11)
2010 Building Condition Survey (102KB) (04/17/15)
2009 BCS/AVI Report The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. (02/16/10)
2005 Building Condition Survey The surveys are in a zip file and are district-by-district in pdf format. You may print the survey to use to mark up changes in conditions discovered in the field.
For questions, contact Carl Thurnau: firstname.lastname@example.org 518-474-3906