Parents and guardians of compulsory school age children have the legal right to enroll them in nonpublic schools. Nonpublic schools may be either independent/secular or provide religious instruction as part of their curriculum. Parents and guardians may also instruct their school age children at home and be in compliance with the Compulsory Attendance Law.
Nonpublic school students are entitled to some publicly funded services, which are either provided by the school district in which the student resides or the district within which the nonpublic school is located. State-funded programs and services include: Health Services, Homebound Instruction, Textbook Loan Program, Computer Software Loan Program, School Library Materials Loan Program, Transportation (students must reside within 15 miles of the nonpublic school), Special Education Services, Dual Enrollment Programs, and Mandated Services Reimbursement.
The State Education Department's Office of Nonpublic School Services staff provides general information, support for the Board of Regents Education Corporation process and Commissioner’s Consent to alternate incorporations, registration of nonpublic high schools; oversight of the application process for entities seeking a Basic Educational Data System (BEDS) registration number; and Coordination of the Commissioner of Education's Advisory Council for Nonpublic Schools.
- 06/20/14 - 2014 CAIRS Conference (November 17 & 18, 2014)
- 05/29/14 - Safety Equipment Funding for Nonpublic Schools -
** School leaders should be aware that authorization to use these funds will expire on September 15, 2014. Each school’s allocation must be spent by that date. Spending that occurred after April 1, 2013 and through September 15, 2014 is eligible for reimbursement. Forms and receipts must be submitted by September 30, 2014 for reimbursement.**
- 05/14/14 - CAP Reimbursement for the 2012-13 School Year
- 12/12/13 - The Online System to Submit MSA Claims for 2012-13 School Year is now available
- 09/09/13 - The MSA-1 Form, Schedule A/Worksheet, and Guidelines for the 2012-2013 school year are now available
- 01/25/13 - IMPORTANT REMINDER TO NONPUBLIC SCHOOLS -
Mandated Services Aid claims are due by NOON Friday January 25, 2013. The online system will then be closed for a period of time to allow Department staff to review those claims that were submitted. We urge all schools to respond promptly to requests for information from staff to ensure timely payments when funds become available.
- 07/23/13 - Mandated Services for Closed Schools
- 11/13/12 - Technology Readiness Tool
- 08/31/12 - Administering the Language Assessment Battery
- 05/24/12 - Development of a Statewide Computer-based Testing Transition Plan (144 KB)