Facts About Charter Schools in New York State
New York State more than doubled its charter cap from 200 schools to 460 schools on May 28, 2010, when Chapter 101 of the Laws of 2010 was enacted. Since their inception in 1998, public charter schools in New York State have benefited from a quality authorizing environment, public demand, and a sophisticated network of support partners. As of the 2016-17 school year, New York has 267 operating charter schools serving approximately 92,000 students.
- Charter School Fact Sheet (last update 3/1/17)
- Charter Schools in Operation, 2016-2017 (last update 10/19/16)
- Charters Schools Approved, Not Yet Open (last update 12/20/16)
- Charter Schools No Longer Operating (last update 9/27/16)
- All Charters Issued (last update 12/20/16)