Admissions and Evaluations
- The New York State Education Department requires that an applicant have a hearing loss of at least 80dB in the better ear. However, students have been accepted to our school if they are considered to be "functionally deaf."
- The student must reside in New York State.
- For more information regarding admission to our school please contact David Hubman, Superintendent, at 315-337-8400 ext. 8223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The student's parent/guardian or, with parental
consent, the CSE/CPSE of the student's district of residence
requests an evaluation for placement.
- The parent/guardian submits a PHC-10 application to the State Education Department (SED) with accompanying documentation.
The application can also
be obtained from:
401 Turin St.
Rome, N.Y. 13440
315-337-8400 ext. 8223
- SED determines if the student meets the eligibility
- If it is determined that the student does meet the criteria, SED sends a letter to the parent/guardian with a copy to NYSSD and to the home school district stating that a referral for evaluation for placement is being made.
- If it is determined that the student does not meet the eligibility criteria, SED sends a letter to the parent/guardian with a copy to the home school district CSE/CPSE detailing the reason(s) that the application cannot be processed.
The Regional Associate sends a letter to the
parent approving an evaluation at NYSSD.
NYSSD Intake Coordinator calls the parent
to schedule an intake evaluation within one week of receipt
of the PHC-10 and the letter of approval from the Regional
A request for consent for NYSSD to conduct
evaluations, a request for release of information and an explanation
of due process procedures are sent to the parent, with a copy
to the school district of residence.
NYSSD requests education records from the
school district of residence.
Request for Consent to Release Information,
perform specific evaluations, etc., sent to the parents and
the school district of residence.
Educational Evaluator conducts on-site visit
to child’s current education placement.
Parents and child participate in a full day
intake evaluation at NYSSD. Limited housing is available to
- A Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) meeting is scheduled and held to discuss the results of the evaluation and to determine the appropriate, least restrictive environment for the child’s education.
- Summary of the evaluations and recommendations
from the MDT are forwarded to the NYSSD superintendent for
consideration. If the superintendent agrees with the MDT recommendation,
a letter, along with the evaluations and recommendations, is
forwarded to the parent, the school district, and Regional
- The Regional Associate reviews the evaluations
and the recommendations and approves/disapproves the appointment
to NYSSD. If the Regional Associate agrees that NYSSD can
provide an appropriate program and is the least restrictive
environment for the child, a letter approving the appointment
of the child to NYSSD is sent to the parent and the school
- If the MDT or the superintendent does not recommend appointment of the child at NYSSD, or the Regional Associate disagrees with the recommendation for appointment, the parent may appeal through procedural due process.