Elementary Program Brochure
The Elementary Program at NYSSD ranges from Kindergarten classes through fourth grade and is based on a child centered philosophy. Class sizes in elementary school are limited so teachers can focus much of their time building students’ reading, writing and mathematics skills. The classrooms are set up so children can explore and learn to promote creativity and discovery. Cooperative learning is a frequent component of instruction.
NYSSD promotes citizenship, character development and diversity in our elementary classrooms. Learning goes beyond the classroom walls and parent involvement is paramount in the success of each child. Teachers are in contact with parents on a regular basis to ensure proper education goals are met.
Our Educational Program at the New York State School for the Deaf services children who are deaf, hard of hearing, and deaf with cochlear implants. Our school sits on 17 green acres in the heart of the City of Rome, conveniently located in central New York.
All teachers at NYSSD are highly qualified and meet or exceed the certification requirements from the New York State Education Department. To meet the specific needs of the children here, all teachers hold a certification in deaf education, special education, or a combination of one along with a specific subject area of concentration.
In addition to quality teaching, a child can expect to have the following resources available to them at our school.
- A full time Audiologist on staff who works with children on a daily basis to ensure their hearing aids and cochlear implants are working properly. The Audiologist also monitors the FM systems in the classrooms and conducts annual hearing tests on students.
- Speech and Language Therapists who work with students in each department; elementary, middle school, and high school. Services include but are not limited to ; auditory training, speech, voice and language therapy. All three Speech and Language Teachers are specialized in cochlear implant services for all ages.
- An Occupational Therapist to work with students on fine motor skills and training.
- A Physical Therapist to work with students on gross motor skills and training.
- 24 hour Nursing staff for students.
- A full time Psychologist on staff who works with students on social and emotional issues as well as counseling services. The psychologist also tests students on a tri-annual basis.
What we offer
- NYS Certified Teachers
- NYS Certified Teacher Assistants
- Staff Fluent in Sign-Language
- NYS Standards
- ASL Courses
- Partnerships with Local Schools
- NYS Grade 3-8 Test Preparation
- Team Teaching
- Small Class Size
- Reading Classes
- Youth Interaction Through Theater
- Field Trips
- Hands on Visual Learning
- Guest Speakers
- Social Skills
- Character Education
- FM System
- Music, Art, P.E
- Self Contained Classroom
- Oral/Aural Classes