Middle School Program
The Middle School Program at NYSSD includes fifth grade through eighth grade. Teachers begin to introduce more concepts that promote higher level thinking. The Middle School offers departmentalized classes for individual subjects in which the teachers meet or exceed the New York State Education department certification requirements. Students become more responsible for time management, completion of homework and class work.
At NYSSD, our reading and writing program extends beyond elementary school into middle school. Each student in middle school receives a daily reading and writing class that builds students’ writing and comprehension skills. NYSSD organizes the instruction in the middle school with a team centered approach. In doing so, reading, writing and mathematic skills are reinforced in all the content areas.
Our Educational Program at the New York State School for the Deaf services children who are deaf, hard of hearing, and deaf with cochlear implants. Our school sits on 17 green acres in the heart of the City of Rome, conveniently located in central New York.
All teachers at NYSSD are highly qualified and meet or exceed the certification requirements from the New York State Education Department. To meet the specific needs of the children here, all teachers hold a certification in deaf education, special education, or a combination of one along with a specific subject area of concentration.
In addition to quality teaching, a child can expect to have the following resources available to them at our school.
- A full time Audiologist on staff who works with children on a daily basis to ensure their hearing aids and cochlear implants are working properly. The Audiologist also monitors the FM systems in the classrooms and conducts annual hearing tests on students.
- Speech and Language Therapists who work with students in each department; elementary, middle school, and high school. Services include but are not limited to ; auditory training, speech, voice and language therapy. All three Speech and Language Teachers are specialized in cochlear implant services for all ages.
- An Occupational Therapist to work with students on fine motor skills and training.
- A Physical Therapist to work with students on gross motor skills and training.
- 24 hour Nursing staff for students.
- A full time Psychologist on staff who works with students on social and emotional issues as well as counseling services. The psychologist also tests students on a tri-annual basis.
What we offer
- NYS Certified Teachers
- NYS Certified Teacher Assistants
- Staff Fluent in Sign-Language
- Technology in all Subject Areas
- NYS Standards
- Foreign Language Courses (ASL, Latin)
- Partnerships with Local Schools
- Scholarship Opportunities
- NYS Grade 3-8 Test Preparation
- Team Teaching
- Family Life Classes
- Student Council
- Small Class Size
- Reading Classes
- Math Counts
- Youth Interaction Through Theater
- Handbell Choir
- Rotating Classes
- Field Trips
- Hands on Visual Learning
- Cash in a Flash Behavior System
- Guest Speakers
- Social Skills
- Character Education
- FM Systems
- Music, Art, Physical Education
- Vision Services
- Work Study Program