School Health Education
This page provides guidance, information and resources for school health instruction as required by education law and Commissioner's regulations.
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey 2011 ( 17.75 KB)
- School Health Profiles Survey ( 5.57 MB)
- Learning Standards ( 59.82 KB)
- Commissioner's Regulations Part 135 ( 48.70 KB)
- NYSED Assessment Process for Review of a Local Education Agencies (LEAs) Condom Availability Plan (CAP) and Approval of the Plan for Training for School Personnel and/or Health Service Personnel Providing Personal Health Guidance to Students ( 286.0 KB)
As stated in Commissioner's Regulations §135.3 (c) (2-ii) boards of education or trustees may make condoms available to students as part of a district's AIDS instruction program. This document provides an identified process and an assessment rubric for LEAs to use as guidance when preparing and writing their CAP for submission and review by the State Education Department. Any outcomes based upon this document should be reviewed and approved at the district level and remain consistent with local community values. Every attempt has been made to ensure information and resources contained in this document are current and reflective of best practice.
- Guidance Document to Achieving New York State Learning Standards in Health ( 2.28 MB) - This guidance document provides local educational agencies with a framework for developing health curricula and implementing instructional and assessment strategies. This document is intended for use by administrators and school health education personnel. Every attempt has been made to ensure that the information and resources contained in this document reflect best practice in health education. This document is not intended as a mandate and is to be used for guidance purposes only. Any local curricula or instructional strategies developed based upon this document, in whole or in part, should be reviewed through normal district procedures and be consistent with local community values and needs.