The Smart Schools Bond Act was passed in the 2014-15 Enacted Budget and approved by the voters in a statewide referendum held during the 2014 General Election on Tuesday, November 4, 2014. The Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) authorized the issuance of $2 billion of general obligation bonds to finance improved educational technology and infrastructure to improve learning and opportunity for students throughout the State. The SSBA requires that a Review Board review and approve districts’ Smart Schools Investment Plans before any funds may be made available for the program.
Smart Schools Investment Plan Process
The Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) Final Smart Schools Investment Plan (SSIP) submission application is now available on the Business Portal.
SEDDAS Guidance: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/seddas/completeuserguide.pdf
A presentation on accessing the SSIP through the Business Portal (1.49MB)
Note: After downloading the PowerPoint presentation, click on View, then Notes Page.
Guidance and FAQs
The FAQs are also available when viewing the SSIP in the Business Portal. Please choose the "Help" button on the top of your screen to view.
Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) Guidance (46KB) UPDATED
Smart Schools Bond Act - FAQs 10/27/15 (190KB) UPDATED
SUNY/CUNY Letter Template (21KB)
Connectivity Speed Requirement Waiver Form is now available.
Special Education Information
- SSBA Special Education School Allocations (85KB)
- Implementation Guidance for Smart Schools Bond Act appropriations for NYS-approved in-State Day and Residential Schools serving students with disabilities. (405KB)
- The Special Education Smart Schools Bond Act (SSBA) Smart Schools Investment Plan (SSIP) submission application is now available on the Business Portal.
- A printable version of the Special Education SSIP application is now available. (12KB)
Please refer to the Smart Schools Investment Plan Process section above for instructions on accessing the system, if needed. If you have any questions, please send an email to: email@example.com and we will assist you.
10/27/15 Presentation to BOCES Partners on the Smart Schools Bond Act
Presentation to BOCES Partners and School District Representatives on High-Tech Security under SSBA
- 12/2/15 PowerPoint Presentation (787KB)
- 3/15/16 PowerPoint Presentation (680 KB)
- 5/26/16 PowerPoint Presentation (1,975KB)
If you have questions about the SSBA, please contact us at: Smartschools@nysed.gov
The Office of Educational Management Services can be reached by phone at (518) 474-6541.